Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my other pastime is under fire.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by greg83k5, Mar 13, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

when i'm not under the blazer, trying to get it to some day roll under it's own power, i'm under the seat of my jetski, trying to make it rip my arms out of their sockets when i grab the throttle. If you have never had yourself launched 20 or so feet in the air off a nice fat swell on a jetski, then i can't adequately explain how fun it is. Those of you who are into motocross probably know what i'm talking about.

anyway, the PWC community, like the 4x4'ers, have the environmentalist to deal with. They drone on endlessly about how PWC are the reason the world is going to [censored], and the water quality is degrading ( those oil refineries we have all up and down the texas gulf coast are all grandfathered EPA wise, and they have lobbyists to make sure that their interests are protected, so no they couldn't be the problem...)

then there are the homeowners with lakefront property who complain of the cathedral silence and tranquility of their lives being shattered rudely by ' that buzzing jetski sound'... never mind the bass boat screaming at WOT, or what we get at lake travis, the triple-454 cigarette with thru-hull exhaust that is loud enough to literally rattle the windows in the lakehouse....

i'm sure those of you into snowmobiles up north are hip to this kind of problem.

read this-

This just in from BWN (freaks). Please help to counter their efforts.

tj

<snip>
    SUPPORT JETSKI BAN AT PADRE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE!

Tell the National Park Service that you want to protect Padre Island
    National Seashore from dirty, noisy jetskis!

BACKGROUND
    On February 4th, the National Park Service released for public review its
    determination regarding personal watercraft (PWC) use at Padre Island
    National Seashore in Texas. The Park Service concluded that PWC, better
    known by the trade name jetski, are damaging park resources and wildlife. In
    light of Bluewater Network's court settlement, the agency decided to allow a
    PWC ban to take effect on April 22.

The PWC industry is likely to oppose this common sense measure. If this ban
    is to take effect, the Park Service needs to hear from citizens who want
    their National Parks protected from PWC impacts.

TAKE ACTION!
    Please send an email to Jock Whitworth, Padre Island's Superintendent,
    <mailto:jwhitworth@nps.gov>, and thank him for the decision to ban these
    inappropriate thrillcraft.

To send your comments via the Internet, please visit the following link:

<http://www.earthisland.org/takeaction/new_action.cfm?aaID=100>

Please copy any comments you send to the Park Service to Bluewater Network's
    Sean Smith, Public Lands Director: seansmith@earthisland.org. A sample
    letter is provided below.

With your help we are making a difference!

SAMPLE LETTER

Superintendent Jock Whitworth
    Attn: Personal Watercraft Comments
    Padre Island National Seashore
    PO Box 181300
    Corpus Christi, TX 78418

RE: Support for the Elimination of Personal Watercraft throughout Padre
    Island National Seashore

Dear Superintendent Whitworth:

I strongly support the decision to prohibit personal watercraft (PWC),
    commonly known as jetskis, throughout Padre Island National Seashore. PWC
    are high-impact "thrillcraft" which pollute the air and water, create law
    enforcement problems, threaten public safety, endanger wildlife, destroy
    natural quiet, and diminish visitor enjoyment.

Padre Island is the longest undeveloped barrier island in the United States.
    The park is home to countless plants and animals, including endangered sea
    turtles. I commend the Park Service for its efforts to protect this
    magnificent park from personal watercraft damage.

Thank you for this action.

Sincerely,

your name
    your address

Bluewater Network

300 Broadway, Suite 28
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    Phone: 415-788-3666 x 150
    Fax: 415-788-7324
    Email: bluewater@earthisland.org
    www.bluewaternetwork.org

<snip>

nice, eh?

let's just ban everything, and only enjoy our nations natural resources in canoes, or snowshoes, or on foot!

never mind that the new PWC have 4-stroke engines, and catcons, and put out about as much pollution as a chevy truck, these bozos use antiquated data from the 60's to get their message out to people who don't know better.

every a$$hole in the nation is pressured to buy the biggest, gas-guzzlingest POS SUV they can afford, cause you're crap if you dont. ( hmmm, please don't ask me what's in the driveway.... we actually use ours!) those SUV don't hve to meet the emissions demands that the government places on cars, cause they're truck-based. How many suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades etc. do you see driven by a single jackass who bought that whale 'cause he could, not because he needed the space?

PS i'm buying a car here in a few months. for those of you like me, who have not had one in the stable for a while, go drive a good one. it's incredible how much better they do the job of getting to point b from a than an SUV.......

there's a place for PWC, 4x4, motorcycles, snowmobiles. it isin't everywhere, but it also isin't 'legislated out of existence'............

i'm greg, and you have been listening to me rant. thank you.

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Oh great, just one more thing that us poor folks like to do getting squished by the rich folks. Oh no, they can hear our jetskis from their lake houses, tough. If they want silence, let 'em move out to the boonies.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

jesus [censor'd][censor'd] what the hell's wrong with these people? its people like this that make me want to violently rip donuts in their front yards, except that it'd help prove their point. how long until they just dome off the `great out doors' and mkae any access to such places flat out strictly illegal? if you want to see the outdoors, then you can pay to goto a yuppie VR sim jeep tours place, hop behind the wheel of a sim jeep, don your gay sim helmet, and use real views of real roc crawling to get to the real natural outside places. how long until `Camping' becomes merely a term to describe snipers in first person shooter games online, and no one remembers what unpaved roads are like? how can these environmentalists justify raping the environment like this, saying its `for the good of humsnity, and to save the environment'

I don't want to drive on the highways, I don't want a car, or sedan, or 30,000 dollar jogging suit, I never wear jogging for fear of destroying it, or an excersize bike, name brand clothes, or to have to hike everywhere I want to go. I want to keep my big ass ugly trucks, my cheap 12 dollar pants, live in a garage, drive up the side of a mountain, camp in the great outdoors, fish on a lake, build a speedy trimarian hulled boat, powered by 2-6 caddy 500's, and most of all, enjoy the outdoors, and go places you can't go in a leather coated luxury sedan.

GAH!!! I want to go put some environmentalists in a wolf pack, and let them see what nature's really all about... like in that southpark where they're going to go save the great rainforests, but learn that they're not really all that great.... don't get me wrong, I'm a scoutmaster, and always practice low impact camping, trail conservation, and follow all the rules of the parks. if I catch one of my scouts cutting a trail ever, they get to walk at the back of the line with either myself, or JT. anyone who litters gets to go find and pick up a dozen more pieces of trash. my driving out to the middle of nowhere directly impacts the environment in a positive manner, because I always try to leave everything better then I found it. I don't try to close off the public lands, becase they're no longer public that way. the less people see of the lands, the more ignorant they'll become.

sorry for the extended rant... and hope some of it made some sense....

-Rich

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

>If they want silence, let 'em move out to the boonies.>

Actually - that's what they thought they were doing - moving to the boonies - until the rice rocket makers (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, et al) decided that the lakes needed dozens of mechanical mosquito's buzzing 20 feet off shore causing everyones $30k+ boats to slam up against the dock due the the additional wake. If I could legally pick them off, I'd do it! Just my opinion.

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I don't know about you, but I see just as many if not more of those $30,000+ boats doing stupid things as I see jetskiers. That's like moving into a house by the road, then complaining about hearing rice rockets drive by with coffee can exhausts. It's just part of the deal. I live 10 miles from the nearest town, which used to be the woods. Now, all day long I have to listen to people playing their music loud, yelling, shooting, etc because all around me I have neighbors that moved up from Houston to "escape the city life." Bascially, all they did was turn the country into the city with a few trees. There's nothing I can do about it, so why worry about it. Basically I just feel like the jetski thing is another example of the rich trying to screw over the poor just because they can. I do see your point about making wakes and damaging boats, but stupid people will do stupid things no matter what they're driving.

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

now really, how much wake does a jetski make at full tilt? not nearly as much as a ski boat driven by some teenage drinker with seven buddies on board.
    and the fishermen have stories to tell about boaters and pwc'ers, so it all depends on your perspective.

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

>... it all depends on your perspective.>

Start cutting checks for a boat, and you'll understand my 'perspective'.

8. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i dig your point of view, and i always ride safe. i wish all the others would as well....

say, do the nautiques with 2000 pounds of water in ballast bags for the wakeboarders ever throw wakes? yeah, they do. our dock sounds like it's gonna break in two when one of those wakes comes rolling in.

i am very aware of the damage wakes can do to boats that are moored. unfortunately there are idiots out there that are not.

if your boat cost 30 or 30,000, there's no difference, nobody should be banging it against the dock with wakes from doughnuts. they can go out to a cove or the middle of the lake for that. go talk to them.

my father adopted exactly the same attitude you have, until he actually got out and rode my ski, and figured out for himself why people enjoy them...

'pick them off'..... if i had a dime for every drunk idiot in a scarab that just about ran my ass over coming out of the cove at WOT, blind until the thing comes on plane, i'd have enought for at least a coke. i had an [censored] come within ten feet of me on a sailboat when we were parked off to the side of center in the lake, determined that his wind-powered vessel had the right of way. never mind he had 200 feet of open water on either side of us, he wouldn't be bothered to change course 'for those damn jetskiers'.... ( sure if you wanna get technical a motorized vessel is supposed to give way to a non-motorized one, but the lake was wide open with no other boats around and we were floating, engines off..)

a new short block one of my sitdowns cost about the same as 3 targetmaster 350's form the chevy dealership. so i know all about your 'perspective' as far as maintaining a boat goes.

greg ( oh yeah i have a bay boat as well, so i sit on both sides of the fence!)

greg

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> They came down hard on ATV's where I live too and we won .......... they were trying to shut down trails for ATV use.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

in Vermont/New Hampshire- its illegal to drive a quad on a sled trail- during off season... however in the VAST area (vermont area snomobile trails??))).... we got together at a meeting- to discuss this- since the majority of sled owners also own quads, we all decided that as long as in the fall- prior to snow season, we fixed our mess--- we could stay on the trails with quads. So thats what we do now- we start in October- when the other members are out clearing tree's and branches out of the way- were out their fixing our big mudd rutts from the quads... makes life easier if you compromise.... or at least it worked for us...

though for some people their is no compromise, its their way or no way--

Brandy

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Exactly what we did ........... we also told them that quads don't ruin the trails like they say they do ....... Now, we can run our quads on the trails year round !