Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my own on the cheap tow rig build!!!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by twoslo4five0, Apr 14, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know this is a first but i even have a tow rig build.I wouldnt have one but i dont $$$ for a new truck or a diesel so i have to make due with what i got.I just got the title the other day to my ford.Thats right ford its kinda embarsing.But hey i traded some stuff for it and gave 600 bucks and its mine.Its a running 83 f350 single wheel,460,4 spd and i was told with either 410s or 456s.The truck should be a good pulling truck just gonna drink alot of gas.Anyway i dont have to do a whole lot mechanically to it just a brake job,breather,heater core (which came with the truck)and fix some odd ball stuff like the gas guage and temp guage.Basically this build will be a cheap tow rig build that will have everything you need to have a rolling toolbox.It will have a flat bed,tool boxes on the sides,a generator or mabye even a generator/welder and hopefully a crane on the back.I dont want a service body cause i wanna be able to position stuff were i want it and be able to still have a bed.Any way i will have pics up soon.i will make mods and put up how much each mod was so it will be easy for anyone to do a similar build up.I wanna only put 1400 in this truck them i will only have 2000 in it...stay tuned pics soon...

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

PICS! PICS! PICS! I know you said they're coming, but I couldn't resist. BTW, I'm embarrassed to say, but my first truck was a '84 Ford F150 4x4 when I was 17 (parents didn't want me to have Chevy's exploding side gas tanks :haha: ). I actually like the mid 80s style best out of all the Fords. It'll make a Beefy tough tow rig for sure.

3. twoslo4five0

here ya go!!!

Picture 124.jpg

Picture 123.jpg

Picture 122.jpg

Picture 121.jpg

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Wow that last pic brings back some memories. The rest. not so much, they must have changed the interior in '84. Still has a huge cab though, much bigger than that era Chevys. Enough to fit a huge box for a 15" RF woofer behind the seat. (silly teenage stuff, I know). Mine had a straight 6 in it with a stick w/granny low. Pretty good offroad except no umph. OK enough memories. WHat are you going to do first?

5. twoslo4five0

prolly the first thing i will do i go to the junkyard and pic up a grill,headlight bezels,taillight,and beefy set of leaf springs...the leaves that are in it now only have like 3 in the pack...im gonna try and find a set on a dually that way i have like 7 leaves and a helper...that will be first...

6. twoslo4five0

well i got the whole thing painted today..no pics though...it cost me 23 buck at wally world to spray the whole truck in gray primer...didnt do the greatest job in the world but looks 110% better now!!!

7. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

keep it up! cant wait n see what kind of tow rig the truck will be when its done!