Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My paint job sucks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 2, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got most of a new paint job back in March, but insurance paid for it because I had hail damage[​IMG]. They couldn't cover the rear quarter panels, but they looked good anyways, just some Oklahoma pinstripes was all that was wrong with them. But I got it done from this guy that had a paint shop in his garage that I had heard good things about. Well I waxed my truck today and after waxing it, I felt the paint with the back of my hand on where he painted it and where he didn't, and where he painted it, it felt rough, and the older paint felt smooth, like glass. This really sucks. I also noticed that the paint ran on both sides of the hood on the lower part of the ridges and it looks really bad. there were two bugs in it, but they were hard to see, low on the doors. Also right behind the front tire, the paint is very bubbly, and obviously rough, which you can see. I'm a little mad at this guy. I had to go back once about a week after to have him fix a bug on the hood, but I hadn't seen all the other stuff yet. He fixed it but it is obvious he used sandpaper, because it looks really bad. I also got a new hood because the old one had too much hail damage to fix and cost less than a new one. When I went to get that bug taken out, guess what I saw...my old hood on another Chevy that was getting painted white. I also saw a tube sticking out of the gas tank that went to a big gas barrel. Hmmm, no wonder I got about 1mpg right after my paint job[​IMG]. Sorry for the long post, just had to vent...

90K5

2. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

You should report that guy. Thanks though you have made up my mind for me, sorry about your misfortune but now I know I am going to paint mine myself. It will look like crap probably but I will only have myself to blame. The trail is unforgiving anyway and it will look bad no matter what I do.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Don't forget, you can't go wrong with primer gray.

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. I'm with Big Jim on this one.. Primer gray all the way !!!
    It could be worse.. look at the mismatched body panels on my K5 see my g/f's site..
    http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com]
    It's primer gray for her.. then to Maaco for a Pontiac Silver with Black top..

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

5. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

Rattle rattle rattle *psssssssshhhhhhhhhtt!*

We don't need no stinkin' sandpaper! :)

I actually did paint my last Chevy truck this way, figured at $12 (WalMart) and an afternoon worth of work, if I had to repaint it once a year, no big deal. Unfortunately, the truck didn't outlast the last paint job... :( Then again, when you start with a $500 truck, especially a mechanically sound 4x4, you can't expect much on the body side of things.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

...but, you must use a sealer primer or the rust will come right through it.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

7. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

90K5, Please post where you got the paint job. I live near you and I don't want to accidentally go to the same shop when I get the rig painted. Thanks,
    JT

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got it from Lansford Paint and Body in Westminster. Where do you live?

90K5

9. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

90K5, I'm in Garland near Richardson.