Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My pit doubles as a swimming pool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Feb 7, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've got a detached garage with a five foot deep pit in it. Who ever built it obviously didn't install it right because the concrete sides and bottom of the pit have large cracks in it. So whenever there is a good rain I can rest assured that I can put on my swim trunks and go for a dip in 5 ft of ice cold, oil slicked water. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Short of repouring concrete, is that anything I can seal up these large cracks with? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

That tar crap used to seal up leaky basement walls might do the trick

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Rhino line it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of products out there for sealing up your basement from cracks just like that.
    Best bet, short of redoing it all together, would be to go to your local home improvement store and check into that stuff. Most of it is rather harmful until it dries, and you'll probably need something thick, not the thin crap that a lot of places sell.
    Another option depending on how large the cracks are is to use the expanding foam to inject into them and then coat them with the foundation sealer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Good luck I'd love to have a pit like that, but just have to deal with the occasional flooding of my basement.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Couldn't you just get the fiber-plaster stuff they use for fixing old concrete swimming pools? Call a pool supply place and ask what they have...

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

use some quickrete to patch the holes and then some sealer to keep out the water.

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Hydrolic cement should work for ya, then use some sealer

9. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well if all else fails, you can get an automatic bilge pump that turns on when the water reaches a certin level. Just set it in the bottom, attach a hose to run the water outside, and hook it up to a battery. That way the pump will keep up with the water as it comes in. BTW, don't forget to keep the battery charged or you will be wading again. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

on a side note...whats the pit for?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For working on his truck.

Hire someone to fix it. My dad had some foundation cracks fixed here, you should see how good a job they did. Worked out VERY well for him.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh i c..never dawned on me...thats cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

We used to have a bunch of big cracks on our garage floor, bough stuff at lowes its in a squeeze bottle its basically slightly thinned concrete. I dont remember the name of the stuff but do remember it was a clear bottle, product was gray, and it had a clear and yellow label and the emblem on the front looked similar to the quick-crete logo. May go to lowes and look for some of that.

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea, a pool supply store should see this kind of problem all the time.
    I'm also headed to Lowe's today, so I'll see exactly what they have. I'm trying to keep this as a cheap repair since it's just irritating to have to pump it out whenever it rains. I don't plan on paying someone to do something like this ... afterall, someone who uses a pit obviously works on their own car, why would they pay to have this done? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Thanks for the ideas and any other input is still welcomed.