Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My POS, Not Such a POS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I took my truck to the shop after hours tonight. I know I had a bit of coolant smell without a leak, and a white poof of smoke yesterday, but today it seemed fine. We did a pressure test and it was alright. We checked just about everything. I changed my own oil for the first time in too long. On the down side, I found some new rust holes that go through the floor, but at least I don't have to worry about engine swaps and the money that go with it. I know I have to add wheel u-joints to the list of things to do before I hit the trails, but I'd rather do that in the shop than on the trail anyway. I wanted to thank you all for your inspiration and kind words. Not many people can relate to being upset over a truck, but to me it's more than "just a truck"!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did you name it yet? LOL
    Are you smelling the colant in the cab or you smelling it out of the tail pipes? If your smelling it in the cab I would start questioning the heater core. They can have such a minor leak that you might miss it doing a pressure test. When they leak it will leak into the cab at the fire wall and get in the carpet. It's possible for the leak to be minor enough that it's evaporating on the heater core. Here is a write up on what it takes to swap one. Not really hard but plan to take most of the day. Cores range from $30-$60 depending on where you get them.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml

3. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you get a good heater core (GM) if that is the problem. After I put mine in I was not getting half the flow of air of the original one. I took it back out and compared it to a genuine GM core and the "fins" were so much closer together on the cheap one that they weren't letting as much air through so I put the GM in and no problems. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Actually Grim, his name has been Chuck for awhile. My 2yo boy says "Mama's Truck" and it sounds like Chuck. Yes I talk to Chuck, too /forums/images/icons/wink.gif We replaced the heater core last winter. I know it's possible, but doesn't seem like that is the case. When it went before, the windshield was fogged and coolant was trickling into the cab. We have a new water pump and thermostat, replaced the radiator with a better used one. There are no system leaks. I still suspect something is up, but yesterday he behaved just fine. Whatever it is, it's nothing major yet.