Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My pride and Joy, totalled

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Never let your girlfriend drive your truck. Last night my girlfriend totalled my 90 K5. Jumped a snowbank and then hit and ran over some rather large granite boulders. Front end is crinkled a bit, but the axle is pushed back, frame bent, steering locked, transmission frozen...not a good day. Any suggestions, should I buy it back after the insurance totals it and part it out? The thing doesn't have a spec of rust on the body. I'll never find another one that was in as good shape. Can you tell I am bitter right now?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Don't let your son drive either. My son just drove my wife's Bonneville SS/LE through a block wall. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

As for buying back, depends on the insurance price and the damage, hard to say. Take the insurance money, come out west for a vacation , buy one of the common rust free trucks out here, then drive home...

3. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

That sucks man. I would ask the Insurance Co what it would cost to buy back. Then decide if you can make enough to part out. If there is anything you want out of it, like the radio & speakers, take it out now before they total it.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dont let anyone drive a rig thats not into them or knows nothing about them, its just asking for trouble if you do let it happen, as you have found out, i cant even stand being a passenger in any vehicle- mine or not- let alone anyone driving any vehicle of mine, i have onlyt let another person drive one of my vehicles in like three instances ever, and they very lucky, but i did not like it. if i eve rlost my license i would just end it all, and i have never been in any accident of any kind other than totalling vehicles on my own personal property off-road for personal recreation and amusement purposes /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

these things ar ein a whole new class, heck there's ppl who cant even drive a burban or simliar vehicle properly, remember all the hooplah about SUV's and accidents? its cuz ppl dont know not to drive an SUV like a car..

sorry it happened to you, hope insurance does any good ? hope you find another one like the 90, it would be worth making a road trip in order to get another one to replace your wrecked one.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That sucks!! I lucked out , I have carb and my wife has never even started a vehicle with a carb , EVER ! So she wouldn't drive it anyway. Like Baddog said come west for a truck, we got no rust out here!

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

yeah, i will let NOBODY drive my K5. just for this reason. that, and when i have passengers, they see me reacing under the dash and doing a sequence of button pushing and flipping switches. nobody could start my truck unless they knew how.

sorry to hear about the loss, i know it sucks. but this is a good learning experience to never let anyone drive a rig that they are not familiar with. especially in adverse weather conditions. even if they have the same vehicle but say they have AT's and you have MT's, it is still a huge difference. it took me a good 2 weeks to get used to driving the big K5, cause i had been driving a toyota.

if the truck still has salvageable parts on it, like a good clean interior, doors, tailgate, i would say buy it back. i know a few people who have bought back once-nice vehicles for under $500. you could make this into a really sweet truggy and have a blast. i see a possible good opportunity for you.

7. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Sorry to hear about the wreck.. I vaugly rememered reading something in a readers digest regarding totalling a vehicle and what your options are.. I don't know if this is what posters are meaning about buying it back from the insurance company or not but I found this as part of an article.
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you choose to keep your totaled vehicle, your insurance provider will pay you the vehicle's cash value minus your deductible, and then subtract the amount of money they would have received from the salvage yard, as well. Your vehicle identification number (VIN) will then be tagged with a salvage title, which will likely make it difficult to sell, should you try to do so. If you decide to repair the totaled vehicle, you're on your own; your insurance company will not reimburse you for the repair costs.

[/ QUOTE ]..

If I remember correctly, the insurace company pays you for the loss, They don't nessecarily get the car, I don't have time to do any more searching, maybe it will help get ya started if you choose to investigate.
    Good luck,
    Brett

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Never let your girlfriend drive your truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    She can hardly drive a stick, so there is no way that she would be able to handle the tempermental beast. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I guess nobody cares if your girlfriend was hurt or not? HMMM.

10. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Never mind the girl officer, is my truck OK? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nobody drives my truck or rides my bike !!!!

12. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I should have clarified that from the start, she's fine, not even a bump or bruise. Not sure I could say that if she was driving anything else. She was upset because she knew better than anyone else how much that thing meant to me. I am thinking about buying it back from the insurance and either parting it out or using it as parts vehicle when I get my new one, there's no way I can go on without another K5.

13. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I have a 1981 frame with bumpers and 10 bolt axles sitting on the back 40 no damage at all, if your interested.