Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My printer and scanner have taken a poo on me.... *update*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Sep 12, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... I need puter help. Like Triumph the insult dog would say.... "I will poop on you," and poop my computer certainly has done! My printer stopped working on my computer and so did my scanner. They were working fine until last week and now I have have no idea wtf has occured. It's a Gateway computer (got it last November) and the scanner (ScanJet 3400c) and printer (photosmart 1215) are HP's. Scanner is about 18 months old, printer maybe 5 months. They are hooked up with USB cables. I have swapped cables to see if they are bad. They work though, I tried them out at work. I took my scanner to a friends and installed it fine over there with the same cables. Everytime I try to use the print or scanner it would say cannot detect them. So I uninstalled all the software and swapped the cables. I hooked em up and tried to reinstall the software. I can't even do that now. It won't let me complete the install because it cannot detect the printer and software. I didn't do anything to it to cause this. I have ran every freaking system check I can think of. So what gives? I am at a lose at this point and getting more then a bit irratated I can't print out some stuff I really need to get too!! Thanks....

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: My printer and scanner have taken a poo on me....

Did you try calling thier tec suport number ??? I bought my IBM last year, and if I have any problems like that, I can call thier tec suport number. I would think Gateway would also have a tec suport line.

3. ChevyCaGal

They were not very helpful and told me that they think it's a software conflict... gee thanks I could have figured that out and not wasted 30 minutes of my life on hold... *bangs head on desk*

Oh and the system is running Windows XP (xtra poopy) in case someone was wondering...

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I would open the box, make sure the card your USB ports are in is in snug. What Operating system do you have?

5. ChevyCaGal

I swapped in a normal printer cable though and same thing... so it's not just the USB ports..... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Whatcha wanna know about my system...?

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When you uninstalled the software did you remove the devices from the device manager?

7. ChevyCaGal

No.... but whatcha wanna bet for my convenience it removed them for me... thing is it was doing the "hey lady, we don't see yer crap hooked up so screw you" thing and nothing was uninstalled prior to this. I only uninstalled the software after it started saying it won't detect my printer and scanner to see if putting it back again would solve whatever occurred...

8. ChevyCaGal

LOL, wtf it had a printer as mine that I have never owned... um ok...!! Thanks for the idea... I am gonna see if this solves it..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go into the settings and try add new device. Then install the software. Hopefully that'll work.

10. ChevyCaGal

Well d@mn skippy.... the printer works now... it's scanner time. Cross yer fingers!

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Cool.. Let us know if that fixes the scanner too.

12. ChevyCaGal

I just did.... I feel kinda retarded for not thinking to see what else might have been installed causing a conflict. But that is what it was. I deleted out the other stuff and installed my own and wha-la... doh....

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It happens to the best of us. USB devices can be a major pain in the a$$ sometimes. Glad I could help though.

14. ChevyCaGal

I have a feeling my friends 10 year old was clicking away like mad when I allowed her to check her email. Because this all occurred right after that.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

a ten year old with her own e-mail account? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    that borders on ridiculous. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    but i suppose it's a sign of the times, both technologically, and parentally.

16. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Who in the heck does a 10 year old get email from? Santa clause? Scooby Doo? I didnt even talk on the phone to friends when I was ten /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif I must be getting old. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have alot of friends and family with children, and it's not uncommon to see kids have email address. I do worrie about sicko's targeting kids, but computers can be real good for kids also. My friend Lew has 3 kids, ages 5,8, and 11. They have a computer just for the kids. All 3 of them have thier own email address. The youngest doesn't get much out of it yet, but the other 2 do email to keep in touch with relitives and shool friends during the summer, and if anyone's family moves. Sence they've had thier computer, thier grades in school have improved, so I do think it's a good thing. Parents should monitor what the children are doing on the internet, but Lew has thier kid's computer on some ISP designed just for kids, so that is a plus for safty anyways. Yeah, it's a sign of the times we're living in. Maybe it's not all bad though.

18. ChevyCaGal

Only people who email her are me, her mom & step dad, siblings, a few relatives and couple school mates. All others are blocked out. Reason being she is 10 years old and too many weirdos out there... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. ChevyCaGal

Re: My printer and scanner have taken a poo on me....*update*

OK, I am going to scream... my scanner won't work now. It worked once, then not anymore. I am about to throw the computer out the window....!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Ok, when I try to scan something I get this:

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem.

On this box there are 2 buttons "Switch To" and "Retry" I can pick. I hit "Retry" and all it does it have the box close and pop right back up. I hit "Switch To" and my "Start" menu pops up..... wtf? ARGH.... any ideas?

20. ChevyCaGal

Re: My printer and scanner have taken a poo on me....*update*

Ahhhhhh if anyone has any idea please throw them out.... I seriously am stumped and need to scan some things for work and can't. HP has been no help at all.... so like I said any ideas I'm open to try anything! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif