Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Dec 11, 2001.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Hello, I have a problem, I bought my k5 about 2 months ago and it appears that the previous owner switched out the full time for a part time 203. And my transfer case will not go into 4lo loc I just had my transmission rebuilt and got it back today, while it was there I asked the guy to check to xfer case and he says that what it needs is some kind of lever from a part time 203 and that will make it work great. Does anybody know how I can get one of these I don't think that auto parts stores carry these????????????......anybody know what I'm talking about?

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

well, there never was such a thing as a part time 203...so, im not sure what he means. a part time 203 has been modified with a kit. Does your blazer have a body lift? sometimes with a body lift the lever hits the edge of the floor opening before it gets all the way back into gear. the solution for this is to cut the opening back enough to clear the lever.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 35"TSL's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

anybody know how to remove the part time kit? mine has the same problem no body lift

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Clean the shifters. Often tranny peopl screw up the linkages when they pull them out. they get them back in worng, out of adjustment ant other wonderfull things. If it will go into High Loc then there is nothing wrong with the case. It's all shifter and adjustment. The same rod that locks it for high locks it for low. There are also plastic bushing on the linkages that fail over time. Often the extra slop they put in the shifter is enough to cause prople getting it into and out of loc or high and low. I have seen them in the Help section of Pep Girls.
    The other cause that would be case related is the part time kit not properly installed and too much end play in the output shaft.Grab the rear yoke. Pull out and push in on it. you should just feel a little slop. should be so minor that you really cant tell with out a dial gage. The spec on the end play is like 1-2 thousands of an inch. too much end play and the mechanisim may not be fully engaging that locks the front drive to the rear. This is more a symptom of poping out of loc than a problem getting it in.
    Also I have found it is much easier to get 203's to switch gears if the truck is rolling with the front hubs locked. Just get rolling about 5 mph throw the tranny in Neutral and shft. These cases are shift on the fly. "FLY" means under 20mph.
    As for converting back to full time...you need the spider gears for the center Diff. you may need the special funky washers that some part time kits toss. and depending on the kit it may have damaged the cross shaft that the gears ride on and that may have to be replaced also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper