Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my race day, oh it hurts (long)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 25, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you didn't know i race dirt bikes, not motocross either. i race harescrambles, 3 hours on the motocross track and in the woods, everyone rides at the same time on the same track. 1 lap is about 5-7 miles.

today was the big national race, the pros show up, they hand us our asses and take their check and go home. there are quite a few guys that follow the national circuit, not just the pros, semi pros. plus we have all our local racers that go also. there was about 200-300 riders today.

anyway i did 6 laps, i kept crashing left and right. on the 2nd lap i crashed and bent my bars, so it takes a little while to get used to them again. the woods on this track is very hilly with very steep hills /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. on the 4th lap along this one part along the top edge somehow i managed to crash, i crashed hard and my side (only unprotected part) landed on a log/mound of dirt. it hurt like hell, i tryied to get out of the way and almost went down this 200' cliff into a creek. i got my ballance and pushed my bike to the other side of the trail and layed their for about 10 min. a guy walking the track helped me up, as i couldn't get up by my self. then i notice my bars are bent back straight /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif. i finished that lap and did one more. every bump made my side just ache, and after 2:30 hours with 300 guys going around the same trail 5,6,7 times makes a lot of small bumps, so it hurt ALOT. i just went slow on those laps

i got a crappy start, bike was cold and wouldn't start on the 1st kick (harescrambles have a dead engine start) plus there were 1 other class who started with us so i had no clue how i was doing. i seen one guy in my class the lap before i crashed and tried to stay infront of him. well he ended up going by me while i was pushing my bike to safty, so i figure he beat me.

i get to the signup tower to see how i did after i hobbled around cleaning up/changeing (yes it now hurts every movement i make) and i got 4th /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. how the hell i got 4th after crashing so much and going very slow the last lap and a half, plus i beat the guy that passed me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif so i have another trophie to add to my collection /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

also, as one of the pros found out, a 250 can NOT beat a 500 in an all out drag race across a field. there were also corners during this and he tried his best to blockpass me in the corners but i wouldn't let him. i made him earn his place infront of me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif i ended up letting him by me before the woods though as he would have run me over literally /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

but now i can barely walk, stand, sit, laydown, or preaty much do anything else, but it was fun and i got a trophie [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I sat on my ass all day....hehehehehe /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifOK I did laps too but they were on the riding mower,... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

"The Joy Of Violent Movement, Pulls You Under"

Man that sounds like the definitive "GREAT" experience

I salute you! Savor the win and the pain!

So did the bike come out ok after all fo that?

Break anything major on your insides?

4. big83chevy4x4

bike is good, i think the bars are straighter than when i started the race /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

when i first got up i thought i broke a rib, but then the pain went away there. i know i bruised a muscle, if it gets worse tommorrow ill go to the hospital. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

in 3 weeks i have a race in Indiana through a...um...colony, not the clothed type either /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What kind of bike do you own? KTM's are good harescramble bikes.

7. big83chevy4x4

this is my bike, its a 98 cr500. its bored .060 over with some mild porting done to it, chromoly sprockets, dunlop 756 front and rear, natural color (almost clear) over size tank, stock pipe (better lowend) and a procircuit silencer/sparkarester.

this is right after i bought it.
    [​IMG]

never rode a KTM i liked, they handle differently than i like and don't have to power of a cr 500.

8. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Nice bike man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had an 89 cr500 and that bike was outright scary I would hardly ever take it out of third gear .congrats on the win /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

thanks, i like it. the pressure washer my friend has took alot of the stickers off /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

the bike i had before this was an 89 cr500, it was too old and not fast enough, i kept breaking it.

the results are up in the link in my sig if anyone want to look, there are some pics also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 1-ton

Does the CR have a low enough power band for harescrambles? The CR, YZ, RM, and KX line of motorcycles are usually meant for Motocross only. Back when I raced Motocross, I raced Suzuki RM's only. They may not have always been the best handling bike, but they always had a high RPM two-stroke screamer of a engine meant for wide open throttle racing only.

I remember riding a friend of mines CR 600. It was scary powerful. I had to be careful not to give it too much throttle or it would loop on me in a second. I was thinking of buying a Suzuki DR 250, just for play riding. I would rather buy a Honda XR, but those are pretty expensive compared to the Suzuki DR line of play bikes.

It is amazing how far the 4-stroke engine has come. Riders are winning Motocross races with them now against 2-strokes. I remember back when a 4-stroke did not have a chance against a 2-stroke in a race.

11. big83chevy4x4

my bike does with the stock pipe (very important) and the porting. the stock pipe has enough lowend and still has plenty of midrange power and more highend than you would expect. the trick with a cr500 is to not rev them out cause they have hardly any power there (comparativly), you need to short shift them to accelerate fast. i also have a procircuit pipe for it but i only put it on for motocross races and such. its more of a mid range pipe, has hardely no lowend and a little more than stock in highend, but alot more in the midrange.

my dad has a 97 cr500 with the stock pipe and stock porting, mine has alot more lowend than his, but his still does well. he races harescrambles also.

they never made a CR600 but did make a XR600. we have a 86 xr600, that thing is unreal. its the old ones with dual carbs and a onboard computer (speedo, trip meter, clock). /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. first gear is so slow also, it has stump pulling power. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif the dual carbs is almost suicidal. its so fricken fast and powerful. it would beat my cr500 on topend easy. the only reason i don't race that (did 2 years ago) is the weight. its almost 320 lbs with a full tank and all the fluids. my 500 weights about 240lbs.

ive raced the newer 4 strokes (crf450, yzf400, yzf426, yzf450) with my bike and i can beat them easy untill i top out and then they just fly by me. ive been thinking about doing something about that though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. ive also raced them with the xr600 and i beat them all around. beat them on exceration and top speed.

12. 1-ton

Your correct that was a typo error. I meant CR500.