Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My radio fuse doesnt seem to be constantly hot.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by speed_deed, Jul 23, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I bought JIMMY almost 6 years ago when I was like 12. I dont think my stereo is stalk after lkooking in my manual and not seeing its style in there. While installing my new steering column last year it seems I unplugged my stereo. I plugged it back in every fuse till I found one that worked. (i forgot where I unplugged it from) Ever since then my stereo doesnt remember the presets because I dont have it in a constant power source fuse. Finally last week I had time to re-connect the fuse with the right wire so I plugged the stereos wire into the radio fuse but still It isnt getting constant power it seems. What gives?

1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. 1970 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition steering column shift.

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I found a constant power source at my cigrette lighter wire. I just spliced in there.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok lets see... Turn the key on and radio comes on... but when you shut if off it doesnt retain the settings you have... Ok so the radio you have installed isnt a stock radio i take it.. If that is the case i would pull the radio out and check to see if it has some kind of wiring diagram on it.. if so that will tell you which wire is supposed to be an all time hot wire... If it isnt listed then you can look at the wires themselves.. most are red, orange or yellow wires for all time hot and remote turn on (ign.) wire... Check to see if these two wires are connected to the same wire coming out of the dash.. (i might be wrong on the wire color if it is a factory radio)If someone installed the radio by cutting into the factory wiring harness then you will notice it.. Look for the two wires that come together and connect to one off the dash harness... More then likely they just connected it that way to make it easy on them.. look to see if there is an extra wire hanging off the dash harness.... take a test light and check to see if it is the all time hot coming from the truck.. if so then you will need to find out which wire is the all time hot off the radio and connect it to that hanging wire... You might have to pull one of the wires and connect it and set something and turn the ign. off to see if it holds.. if not reverse the wires and check it again.. If that doesnt solve the problem let me know..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]