Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My rear is messed up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Black89k5, May 1, 2000.

1. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

I was just driving down the road about ten minutes ago and ill be damned if the center pin in the rear didnt break. Well the rear hit the ground and my axles attached to my Gumbos came rolling past my truck. Talk about a major pisser looks like im taking off school for the rest of the week. Anyway is it possible to fix or am i looking at a whole new rear???

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: My rear is f*cked

Hard to determine if a replacement is necessary with out more details. What do you currently have? If it's a 10 bolt, nows the time for "that upgrade" to something more stout. If your happy with what you have, a rebuild is in your future for sure. Replace all seals and clean everything extremely well. A little crud or dirt here will destroy your rebuild quickly. Are you happy with the gearing? Again, nows the time to consider the upgrade. Don't want to spend the same $$s twice.
    (This is great...spending your $$$s!) Sorry to here about the breakage...good luck.

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Are you running a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt! You say that the center pine came out ? The spiders are on that pin and if it came out the truck would lose power first. even then with any load on it at all it would unlikely for even one c clip to come off let alone both!!!

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No no!! Why would he want to upgrade?? Leave that 10 bolt in there...spend $700 on a full floater kit, $550 on a Detroit, and $400 on stronger axleshafts!! Gotta save that 1"-2" of ground clearance advantage that the 10 bolt has over a full floating 14 bolt!!! Let's see...14 bolts can be had for about $150...but then you have to change your wheels...oh dang!! OK, let's go put $2,000 into our POS 10 bolt rear...only to do it again in another year!!!

ken

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Or you could search the bone yards for a 12bolt. You can build them up too. Dont' have to get new wheels, unless you have a 5 lug. But 12bolts are much stronger then the 10, and when built up w/moser axles or full floater it can be extremely strong. Why waste the time and money on a 10, unless you can't find a 12.
    Boss

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, sounds like you got something personal against the 10-bolts.
    As a note, I rebuilt both my front and rear 10-bolts for around $2,000...that included 4.10 gears, front and rear limited slips, alloy rear shafts, all new bearings, and labor.
    By the way, the biggest part of the full floater kit is the axle shafts that are included in it..........anyway, Moser axles for the stock C-clip design are only $250 for a pair.
    Yes, a Detroit locker is over $500, but if you need the strength of the Detroit you probably also need the traction...so you would put one in the 14-bolt anyway which adds to the cost.
    I investigated this option and here's what I found when pricing a 14-bolt:
    decent 14-bolt - $350, rebuild brakes - $100, Detroit - $400, driveshaft mods - $100, convert front to 8 lug (parts) - $200, tires and wheels (16.5" rims, yuck!) - $1200......for a grand total of $2300+.
    Now before you rip into me, I will be the first to admit that the 14-bolt is nearly bulletproof......and no matter what you do to a 10-bolt it will not be as strong.......but in the right situation and with a sane driver you can have very good luck with properly built 10-bolt and enjoy the benefits of it, it just depends how the truck is set-up and what you expect it to do. If you want to run 400 h.p. and do burnouts on 38" tires, don't waste your money on it. In the type of trail riding I do, 2" makes a HUGE difference...I gained only 1" by going to 35" tires and it makes a huge difference on where I can go.
    There are quite a few "hardcore" trail runners that have shown up in the magazines or on the net running either 10-bolts or 12-bolts (which are not substantially stronger than the 10-bolt). Steve Watson recently swapped to a full floating 12-bolt, which replaced a ff 14 bolt........4x4review.com did an article on 10-bolt beefing, the project Blazer did serious rockcrawling for years on 10-bolts with the weak 28 spline stock axles and lock-rites in the weak stock carriers before breaking anything......and the project Blazer in Fourwheeler magazine stayed with a 10-bolt while running 35" tires and a highly modified turbo'ed diesel.......
    Like I said, everybody is different and there are a lot of applications where a 14 bolt is necessary...I'm just tired of everybody saying you HAVE TO swap in a 14 bolt because the 10-bolt will break if you sneeze on it......

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ken I agree...I have pondered this for a long time and you are right on the money!! GO 14 bolt...Even if it is heavier..get one with a 4.10 ratio and that will make up for any lost power..or a 4.56 for that matter!! and who cares about 1-2" Push the gas and plow through it!!

8. Re: My rear is f*cked

Watch the language in the "Subject Post" You may not be able to spell but my kid can! Watch it!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, lets try to keep it clean guys. Thanks for leaving out the "u" though, I changed the subject post on the main thread. Please remember that there are mini K5 fans on this page as well.

Steve

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the burst of testosterone back there regarding the 14 bolt...guess I spend too much time on the Pirates of the Rubicon board...but I'm for nothing less than a 14 bolt rear in GM trucks, or Dana 60 rears in my Jeeps. I HATE breaking!!!

ken

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

COME AWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There no such thing as too much time on the POR board.
    BTW, you convinced me a while back on the 14. Got one in the garage for mine. Now, if you could help me with the D60 front, and a 205 case I'll be SET!!! (damn things are getting hard to come by!)

Kyle
    89K5

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Got a 1979 GM Dana 60 rotting in my backyard!! ;)

ken

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

YOU ARE A MEAN, CRUEL MAN!!!

I'll take it!!
    You think you could Fed-Ex that thing my way! :)
    Come AWN, You know you want too.

Maybe swing by and drop it off. Cali's not that far from OK.

Kyle
    89K5

14. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Ken I live in Long Beach do you want to sell that rusty Dana 60?? let me know thanks.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

15. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

you say you have a 79 dana 60 in OK?
    Im down the road and could use one!
    Jme

16. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

By the subject line,, I thought Buttman got you. LOL [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

17. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

No matter what you go to, I would replace the whole rear end. More than likely there is something tweaked from the experience. Carrier, bearing cups, axles,...something. Your axles don't pass you without causing some damage. Find a salvage yard and go hunting. Closely inspect the ring/pinion gears and axles where they run on the bearings. You should be able to find one you can put in your rig without too much cash outlay.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

18. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

Hey thanks for your help everybody i talked to my dad i he found at 14bolt for me thanks alot. I only payed 200 bucks for it but it needs a little work.