Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my rear side panels ...stealth storage..check them out(PICS)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, May 29, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Here is the passenger side panel. Just need to mount speaker.
    storage open
    [​IMG]
    storage closed
    [​IMG]
    amp access
    [​IMG]

what ya think? stealth storage. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: my rear side panels ..check them out(PICS)

that's awesome good idea do you take the top off ever??

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: my rear side panels ..check them out(PICS)

i have a soft top for when i move out west. It cost about
    40 bucks total to do. If i tear them up, oh well, just replace the cheap carpet covering them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

that's awesome dude!! i am planning on doing something like that in the future. how thick is the plywood that you used? and what type of carpet did you use?

rick

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

do you have any kind of venting in there for your amp? I was thinking about doing that as well for my amp but was afraid it would get too hot, especially in the summertime.

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've thought about doing that too. I have the same amp as you but was wondering if you could slide a couple PC fans behind that panell. And leave a little gap where it can draw fresh air. It might help make sure it stays cool

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

The plywood is 3/4". The carpet for panels is the cheap roll stuff you get at Pepboys for $10.

I will watch the amp I can add a vent if needed. I have run amps in tighter situations with no problems...well except on 100 degree days back in my so-cal days.

I like to carry all the usual stuff...tools, ujoints, hoses, etc. The plywood is thick enough to support the weight of stuff pushing against from inside of storage.

8. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

that kicks a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif - think you can pm me some more pics, like of the front and rear ends of the side panels? i'm looking to do something like that myself (though i'll have to take it elsewhere to be cut).

where did you put your speakers? i was thinking of putting mine in the side panels.

alex

9. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Hey Paul...When you r done with your truck let me know so I can drop my truck at your house to finish some stuff for me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Nice work on the panels...You get your other axle yet? I would like to take a drive in that thing...That is a cool ideal with the panels...I would do the same thing but need to find a wet proof material cause when the top comes off for the nice weather it stays off...Did you put sound proofing stuff in the storage area? A good ideal would be to use outdoor carpet too...I'll have to stop by soon and take a good look at your truck...the ball and chain this time hahaha! Keep in touch... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have installed many of amps, a few cd changers and EQ's behind my panels. Basically, if the amps are of average quality at all and wired correctly, they shouldnt ever get hot enough to cut off. Fans are good back up, deff cannt hurt to have them. Panels look good by the way.

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Are you transporting drugs or something?!?!?! Those are very stealth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    think you can pm me some more pics, like of the front and rear ends of the side panels?

[/ QUOTE ]
    i will take some more pics and post in my pic gallery. I used the old panels as templates, then trimmed and tucked with a dremmel tool...those things are great for this kind of stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    When you r done with your truck let me know so I can drop my truck at your house to finish some stuff for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...yeah i think my girlfriend would kill me after all the time I've spent on my truck this winter! Still waiting on the axle...

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you transporting drugs or something?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a cop? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    where did you put your speakers? i was thinking of putting mine in the side panels

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two in the doors and two others will go in hole on rear panels, you can see it just above the wheel wells. I have a couple of subs to play with, still working on a plan for those. I currently do not have center console in(allows easy access to back), so i might have a rear firing sub built into a custom console/box.

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Awsome panel idea, I had a similar idea but now I will go for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

someone else just posted about your panels...
    I really like them and great job building... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I was going to do the same but my roll bar sits right there so I had to go the Tuffy box in the center...