Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My rental company

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87BrnRsd, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

So I get home from class today to find the front door to my apartment completley unlocked and none of my roomates were here. Whenever there is nobody here we always lock our door....so i knew immediately that none of my roomates left the door unlocked. Well apparently my rental company came in when we werent here to post notices on our bedroom doors that rent is going up from $425 a month to $470 a month for next year. There have been several break ins here and it just pisses me off that they would come in and not lock the door when they left. Luckily nothing was missing (but with an xbox 360, 3 laptops, 5 tv's and various other expensive items in our apartment) I would have been highly pissed if my stuff was gone. And I know damn well that they wouldnt accept resopsibility for anything that may have been stolen.:mad: :mad:
    -Harrison

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

they came into your appt????

unless tennant laws in the US are WAY different, they cant do that without notice.

threten to sue, unless your rent goes DOWN next year.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, they gotta give notice that they're coming in.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yah, unless you had a screwed up contract, thats illegal as far as i know.

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

To bad about that missing PS3:whistle:

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I believe they have to give 30 days writen notice before entering your apartment. What they did was illegal

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you give them a verbal OK, they can enter, but not without you being there.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

No, I wasnt here....nobody was.

They come into our apartment all the time. Just the other day I was asleep in my bed when a random guy just walked in my room, crawled on the bed and started messing with my ethernet (trying to relocate our modem) while I was still sleeping. WTF?? He did the same to my roomates, having to move furniture around to get to the ethernet jack...and just left everything in the middle of the floor. WTF?
    -Harrison

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im going to dig out my contract and look it over.
    -Harrison

10. 76zimmer

Definitely do, ask the cops if anyone not living there can enter without permission, they'll probably tell you no.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well I dug out my contract. Here is the section about "Inspection/Right of Entry"

And I quote:
    "Landlord reserves and shall at all times have the right to re-enter your dwelling unit to inspect for your compliance with terms of this lease contract, make sure damage is not occuring, stop waste, clean, exterminate, turn off alarms, stop noise, alter, improve, maintain, repair the dwelling unit and premises, inspect or break up a party or gathering, do any type of maintenance and/or repair, enforce any provision of this Lease Contract......" From there it goes on about matters not pertaining to my situation.

So I guess they can.....but I KNOW damn well that they wouldnt have paid for anything that may have been stolen when THEY left the door unlocked.:mad: My lease ends July 29th and im moving immediately.
    -Harrison

12. 76zimmer

what a knock off jip joint their running there.....bottom line is its their contract:deal: .....but I believe you still have dwelling rights.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Rental laws are different state to state. I'm no lawyer, but I do not believe there are federal laws regarding rental housing except section 8 type stuff, which may not even be laws but just policies of a federal agency.

Logically, the landlord should have the right to enter his property any time he sees fit.
    I.E. if you were having a disagreement with him and he suspected you were trashing the place, he should be able to get in and document it or catch you in the act. Likewise if he suspects you're violating terms of the lease, such as smoking inside, or having pets inside, etc. Or if he knows there's a condition in the house that needs immediate attention (oil burner problem, etc), and the tenant is unavailable to chat.

You should have a legal expectation of privacy, though, and your landlord should not be permitted to enter your bedroom unannounced for trivial matters. It's not unreasonable, and it would be a sensible law, that the landlord is required to knock and announce himself before entering, to give the tenant time to make himself presentable or something.

But, the landlord is the owner of the property. While that doesn't give them carte blanche, they do have more rights to the property than the tenant. Your best bet is to stipulate your privacy in the contract or rental agreement.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I started my reply before you posted that (darn tv distracting me), so it basically says what I was thinking. It sucks, but it sounds like you're at thier mercy... It would have been good to get that point clarified before signing, or always be aware that they could pop in any time.
    It sounds like they're being bungholes, but they made it so they could be. If it's a rental company, you're probably just another number to them, they could care less about your privacy.

15. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

this doesn't say anything about entering to post notices about rent going up.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Stick a gun in the face of the next yahoo that enters unannounced.:eek1: I bet they get better about notifying you after that,:D

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Then they'd say they came by to inspect for compliance, and decided to pass out the rent notice at the same time.

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Exactly

And if something had been stolen im sure they would say they locked the door too.
    -Harrison

19. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

ask them what prompted them to check for compliance "due process"... i say buy a tazer, taze the next pos that strolls in unanounced, and fwiw, if i was renting and someone just walked into my bedroom, id jump up and do the helicopter for them and then beat them senseless "your honor, i feared for my life"
    "sir, you performed the marine corp cock-copter first"

"your honor, it was a good dream that needed fulfillment"

i can see it now, cnn headline

"young man thrown in jail for contempt of court for demonstrating the helicopter move he used to thwart an intrusion"

LMAO

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Good point.....but then I would be in violation of the lease contract.
    -Harrison