Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Ride Home Today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kick, Apr 18, 2005.

1. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

The ride home today was crazier than usual today. I'm driving down US 41 yes the same one that Dickie Betts wrote about in "Ramblin Man" but I wasn't in a Greyhound Bus. I'm at a light and the blond in front of me is rearranging her CD collection or doing her makeup. I'm tired and want to make the light so I give her a short honk. She throws her hand up like whats with you buddy and perhaps the finger added. I get clear and blow by her much to her consternation. Next obstacle a beat up 90 Ranger 2.3L verision ( I know cause I have one in the drive with a blown engine) Got it at an auction for $100. I'm getting rid of it though as I got another Blazer from another member. By the way is a great guy. Back to the story the guy in the Ranger is going 45 in the passing lane no way to pass on the right. We are pulling up to a red light the car in the right lane turns now is my chance to get in the right lane and blow past this nut. The blond has the same idea but I get the jump on her, now she is pissed.

While at the red light I'm sitting above the Ranger whacko so I say "by the way do you know you're in the wrong lane". Surprised he agrees thinks a minute and spout some profanity, at this point I'm laughing, he is pissed. Green light I don't even have to stomp it and I'm down the road. This guy is actually trying to get ahead of me and cut me off. You had to be there, he had that thing red lined and then some. It's a wonder he did not blown he engine. He sees his attempt is futile so now he is fuming. I look back and see he is giving me the finger and shaking his fist at me in frustration. He falls back and I'm on my way. A couple of miles down the road I get hung up at a long light. Guess who is about eight car lengths back in the opposite lane. Now he is screaming "looks like you didn't get too far" and is laughing like he nuts. I'm ignoring him. Light changes I'm off wave goodbye and he is so far back I never see him again. Florida is full of people that drive way under the limit in the passing lane and refuse to pull over. I'm a minority for evryone who thinks as I do there are 20 of them and it only takes one or two to mess the flow of traffic. Some are just plain rude and some ignorant. Oh well. I try to remember the quotation "Whoever angers you controls you". :D

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't stand people who use the passing lane as "match the speed of the guy next to you" lane. :mad: Its not safe but I push them till they pass and move out of my way. Of course now I have a Saturn, so the intimidation of a mirror full of grill is gone.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

could have someone bend you up a tube bumper for it... :whistle:

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Indeed... a tube bumper on a saturn would be... nevermind.

Cool story, wish I had something like that to share... nothing of that sort yet... I'm still waiting for someone to pull up next to me and rev their engine. I do know that my exhaust is louder than a Harley Fat Boy. =)

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

People like that usually move over for me......................... :D

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Thats just because you have all those fancy lights and sirens.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bet those fancy lights of yours makes them think, LOL.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

You know in Australia, the put huge grill/bumper guards on all the cars that travel in the out back, I saw one on a newer impala, and was like "WTF mate?" the taxi driver said its so they can hit kangaroos and it wont mess up the car :D :D :D :D

9. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

off the subject but where in fl you at?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

George Carlin has a great line in one of his comedy routines....

"Did you ever notice that people who drive slower than you are 'idiots' and anyone who drive faster than you is 'a maniac'?"

I have certainly had my share of frustration on the road, but it is funny to note that everyone wants the rest of the world to drive just like they do..... :D

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Disco lights!!!

12. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux
    People like that usually move over for me.........................
    :D

They used to get out of my too Bubba, I started out as Tillerman on a Hook and Ladder in NYC.

JIMMY76 off the subject but where in fl you at?

I'm in Englewood Fl. and work in Sarasota, on the west coast 60-80 miles south of Tampa.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, you around the week of 5/22? We'll be around Orlando that week.

14. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I'm about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Orlando. I'm in FL helping my parents out so I'll be here for years. My wife's sister and niece live in that neck of the woods so maybe I can get up that way.

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Driving pet peeves....... some idiot in front of me sitting at a red light while I'm wanting to turn right on red. When the light turns green THEY TURN RIGHT!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: Did I mention that I never lose my temper while driving. :whistle:

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Therein lies the problem. When those fancy lights and sirens are on, no one gets out of my way.......................................... :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Must be a florida thing...

I got stuck behind a couple of Q-tips with florida plates on my way to TN years ago,while going thru PA--I had to crawl down I-81 at 47 mph for 55 MILES before I finally lost it,passed them in a no passing zone,and barely got by them before a semi came the other way...and about 30 seconds later a PA state trooper I passed sitting on the side of the road(probably taking radar! :blush: ) came out onto the highway and raced to catch up with me--I thought I was getting a ticket for sure!

But they pulled the same routine on him too!--they would not pull over and let him pass either!!

I was laughing my ass off when I saw him pull up right beside them and he had the lights and siren on--it must have woke them up--because the old fool driving almost rolled it in the ditch when he realized it was a cop trying to pass him!--I hope THEY got a nice ticket for obstructing traffic--looked like a 5 mile parade behind them....I heard on my CB some of the truck drivers stuck behind them called the state police,and had them remove the "obstruction".... :laugh:

Some people should just stay home,sell their cars,and give the rest of the world a break--or learn how to drive properly..its harder than ever to go anywhere around here and not get involved in a wreck,or road rage--people's attitudes suck when they are behind the wheel lately,like they are pissed off at everyone and everything,and they take it out on other drivers... :mad:

18. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

thats funny stuff but it's so true. I used to drive my old chevy as a daily driver I don't know if it's the 39.5tires or the lift but man the respect you get in that thing the intimidation must be unreal cuz i never had much problems with peolpe driving slow in the wrong lane, they always seem to get out of the way. sometimes a long way before i get there :D Then i get into my friends firebird and holy crap you cant get anywhere it's halarious he get's all mad and can't believe all these crazy old bats, blocking him. now i drive a stock98 chev and i have to deal with that crap not as much as my friend in the firebird. Sometimes i go home and get the old girl out and take her for a spin down the freeway and wach and laugh all those idiots get out of my way :haha:

19. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

yep... people get smart when you drive up their tail pipe with a lifted rig... even my old E-150 van was a big ass truck and could make anyone move out of the way for fear of being run over.

20. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

people,deer and alot more get out of the way when you drive a big junky truck. The pushar on the front and the fact when you stop and cannot see thier back window over your hood helps them take off faster from the red light too. :cool1: have no problem with tailgaters niether. sure it will be even less when i get my new trailer hitch on that i made last week.