Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My rig is leaning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Oct 10, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

My blazer is leaning to the passenger side about 1.5inches more than the driverside. Also, one of my passeger-side body mounts seems to have compressed (where the rear passenger would put his feet). Could these be related?

All shocks are less than 1 year old (quads in front). Any ideas on what is going on?

Just noticed it this morning when looking at it head on, but may have been like this for some time.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I may be crazy for saying this.. but every Blazer/Jimmy I've ever seen.. seem's to lean more on one side..
    Maybe my head is on crooked.. but I've tilted my head and looked at it.. still the same.. guess my head is on straight.. lol .
    www.classicindustries.com has shims to insert under the body mounts to level the truck... you might want to consider that.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Eric, Mine leans to one side as well. At first I thought it was my rotted body mounts, but then I replaced them with Energy Suspension body mounts and still the same deal. I think the frame is like tilted or something. My truck is over 25 years old, so I figured, something might of happened in those 25years to cause that, but who knows. Anyways, Yeah, you can either get body shims or do like me, and get REALLY BIG Washers and put them in on one side to make it level out. After that, your bumper will look really slanted though.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Feel a lot better about the whole situation. I hear you about the age. Who knows what has happened within the past 15 years.

86 K5 Blazer

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Have you ever put one wheel (accidentally) into a huge hole? My buddy did that to his 86 and it seemed to hyperextend the spring or something. The turck sat crooked for a while.LOL

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine leans to the passenger side too. It looks like I have a 3" lift on the left and a 2" on the right

90K5

8. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

my 89 does the same but its lower on the passeger side had it on a frame machine and it perfect measured the spings length and hight and replaced body mounts nothing woked although its only 3\4 of an inch then i found out it was the body mount its self was bent down on the passenger side but it was only the one closest to the front of the door so check it out that might be it

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Easy fix:

Move all your chains, the spare tire, some sand-bags to the side thats sitting high. 200 pounds should do it in most cases.. and it will work!!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

10. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Now you're talking. Best idea yet! Cheap and easy, can't beat that...

86 K5 Blazer

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

My 88 leans to the passenger side too. It has all new springs front and rear and new body mounts and still does it. I think that is what makes Blazers unique. I agree with the shim idea that is what i am going to do.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Tell your "ole ladees" to loose some weight!!!!

ken

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hey ken,

If anything my K5 should lean to the driver side. I weigh in at about 265 while my "ole ladee" weighs about 105 pounds. Got anymore suggestions?

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When investigating my lean, I found that the rear driver's side spring was a little weaker than the passenger's side. I found this by measuring the distance between the axle tube and frame on both sides with the truck in my garage, which is relatively flat. The difference was more than an inch. The front springs measure out the same, since I put them in when I lifted the truck and the frame to body distance is the same on both sides near each of the body mounts, but the truck looked a little bit crooked from the front and from the back.

What I have done so far is to take out my 4" blocks, perform a shackle flip and put a 1" lift block on the driver's side. You could also use a 4" block and 5" block, I suppose, but that is getting to be a lot of block, especially when it's not a purely correct way to fix the problem. Now the truck is within 1/4" of being level, so my eye doesn't notice it anymore. Since it works, I'm not very motivated to spend money having a spring serviced or buying new springs.

Straightening the ride height out also made the truck ride a little better. I can't explain why, but I'm guessing that it has something to do with loads on the front sway bar.

The other ill effect of the "leaning Jimmy" was that it made the truck dog-track a little. I think that this is because the spring is not flat, but is higher in the rear than it is in the front (I'm talking about stock, not with a shackle flip) and the distance between the front spring eye and the centering bolt changes with flex. For that reason, a spring with more arch will direct the axle more towards the front of the truck than a spring with less arch. This effect would be too small to be noticed, except that a set of good sized lift blocks acts like a lever to magnify the effect. For that reason, if you have lift blocks and springs that do not carry the same arch at normal ride height, one rear tire will be slightly ahead of the other rear tire, making the vehicle dog-track, even though the frame is straight.

As indication of this being true, I had to readjust my draglink after doing the shackle flip to put my steering wheel back to center when going straight.

Anybody else have experience like this?

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Rebel88, I got another suggestion for ya, lose some weight!!! Hehehehe!!! Just kidding!!!

ken

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could let the wife drive for awhile and you could sit in the passenger seat.

90K5

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Wow Blue, you really got into that. Well, for me, I think it is my frame. But when I get home, I'll measure the distance between the frame and the axle on both side. I too did the shackle flip and that is when the tilted frame gave me problems. When raising the rear of the truck, the passenger side leaf lifted off the block about an inch, but the driver side, the leaf didn't move at all. I tried jacking the truck higher but still nothing. So, I just lowered that one side of the axle by removing the shock and then I removed the block. I had to lower it to get the leaf spring on as well. When making left turns, I don't have any lean, it feels firm. But when making right turns, my truck leans a little, sometimes feeling like it'll roll. This is all b/c of the passenger side sits about 1" higher than the other. And no, I don't have chains, or any other heavy stuff on the one side of my truck to remove. Also, no fat heavy girlfriend either. The woman must be a little too light actually b/c it leans on my side. I'm only about 170 lbs.
    That's my story of the leaning "Rebel"
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

79 K5....has leaned to the drivers side rear since day one. First the lift went on 3 years ago...standard 4" front springs...4" rear blocks...results...still friggin leans to the drivers side rear about 1.5". Step 2...install 4" rear springs....and 2" blocks as the offroad store assured me that a 4" spring would make her level...ya right...K5's require a 6" spring in the rear to make an even 4" lift. So after all this it went to the frame rack....according to the gauges the frame is straight as an arrow.... go figure. Gonna hopefully put her on the rack at the shop...as the left front rail is twisted slighty from the flex i get on the trails...plus all the front huck bolts are starting to come loose...expected maintenance...lol. Have tried to measure every concievable angle only to come up with our friend jack squat....lol. Gonna keep looking before i install spacers with the body mounts. Mine also feels "tippy"{ when making right turns....lol. Must be a universal chevy thing...hell the 69 thru 72's had door panels that wouldn't meet the body lines in front of or before the door...you kinda have to choose one and live with it...ain't the factory great....lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban