Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My roof is leaking...anyone used the heat cable/tape stuff?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Dec 9, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've had water coming through the ceiling of my bedroom this winter and the last. Seems to happen when we get a lot of snow and then the temperatures go up above freezing all of a sudden and it all starts to melt. Next thing we know we're back below freezing at night, an ice damn forms, the ice goes up under the shingles...and I wake up to water on the wall...or as with last weekend, coming out of the center of my ceiling.

It only happens in our bedroom...no where else in the house so far in three winters. I'm trying to stop it and so far have been raking the first half of the roof to get as much snow off as possible. My father and a few others have suggested the electrical heat cable/tape sorta stuff. You run it in a /\/\/\ pattern across the edge of your roof and then plug it in to an outlet somewhere close. It keeps ice from forming and gives water a place to run off to.

Anybody had experience with this stuff?

I know it's kind of a bandaid but funny thing...contractors/roofers don't seem to want to come out to your house in the winter.:rolleyes:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I use it for the plumbing in the shop, I don't know if it could be used for roof but I don't see why not...

3. AJMBLAZER

The stuff I'm talking about is specifically made for use on roofs. It's waterproof and what-not as long as you keep the control box out of the direct snow.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

We've used it for many years at the house. Works great. we don't leave it plugged in all the time, just on the clear days. I don't know that you CAN'T leave it plugged in, but I'm the sort of person who unplugs toasters, coffepots, and other heat generating appliances when I leave the house.

Tom

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the stuff will work for you, good idea to make sure your evestrophs are clear, so they will drain. if your down spout freeze up then remove them.

you could also use a plug in timer to cycle them on and off for a few hours.

if you re-roof. then use ice and water sheald on the bottom, of your roof Only, and it will help.

6. AJMBLAZER

No evestroughs on this house. One of those things I've been meaning to add.

I THINK some of them come with a built in thermostat so it can switch on and off according to the temps. Saw that online, now I just need to find one up here in nowhere'sville.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Build a sheetmetal diverter, to move water/ice/snow away from the area where the ice dam forms. The heattape is a temp solution to a permanent problem.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yes Rob,it is made for roofs, no Tom you shouldn;t leave it pluged in, and yes Dave ice and water shield is the cats ass.as far as getting some, go to ABC SUPPLY in Traversecity. tell them your cousin daryl noakes sent you.i work at the abc in soulthfield.so you'll get a better deal.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

im guessing being its cold as heck up there you couldnt tar the seams?

10. boggerless

depending on how much snow he gets ,it might build up below the diverter.ice and water sheild is the way to go. but it needs to be at least three foot into the heated area of the house. unless its a steep pich.:D

11. boggerless

tar is the ultimate bandade.the ice would just creep under the next layer of shingles.if you ever need to tar something temporaraly use the neopreme stuff. it doesn't harden and crack like tar.

12. Confedneck79K30

hell here in florida, its what we use during the rainy season for an emergency fix lol, usually holds up VERY well...

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Out here, the whole roof gets the shield before the tin or shingles. I hate that stuff, sticks to anything when its warm and nothing when its cold.:haha:

14. boggerless

it will work for awhile.its been around for 200+ years.:laugh: its not as good as it used to be though. it used to have aspestos in it.you need a new roof brother!:D

15. boggerless

you ain't kiddin Mike.the GRACE ice shield is the worst.and you can't stand on the stuff if its steep.:eek1: it does work though, my crib leaked when i first moved in. i put a new roof on the following year and no probs.i used the GAF brand. its sanded so at least you get a chance to yell OH **** before you fall.:laugh:

16. Confedneck79K30

lol not my roof, not yet... ill probably be doing it in a couple of years, i did however, patch my grandparents roof about 6 seperate places before they decided to have the roof replaced, but they had a flat roof (1950s house)

17. boggerless

when your ready,let me know. i'll hook you up on the material.ABC'S are everywhere like aids.

18. Confedneck79K30

ive never seen an abc supply in florida... and i wont be doing the work lol...

19. AJMBLAZER

So just because my dad just mentioned it and no one else has...

My roof has a ridge vent and I had to clean that off yesterday. About 70% of it was covered with snow.

However I can't seem to find any intake vents along my soffits. This shouldn't be the case, correct?

Meanwhile I'm on the phone with the insurance company again trying to see if they can recommend a local contractor as it's been a week and haven't gotten one returned phone call.

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

your not supost to do that, ice shealding you whole roof, will void the warinty on your shingels something about the mosture under the shingels makes them fail big time.

my co worker was going to Blueskin his whole roof befor shingeling but was told that it would kill the roof faster.