Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My S-10 Blazer died today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaze, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Today was a bad day. I was already trying to come to terms with trying to sell the thing to buy a bigger truck. This thing has driven 100 miles with the timing chain jumped one notch, driven 4 hours with the alternator bearings blown out, gone 5 hours with a shot water pump, driven 200 miles with the entire tranny ripped up inside, and many other things. Got me home every time. I've driven this thing through rivers, mud holes, and other things that would eat any of these new trucks. But today, I tried to start it and it broke a piston rod and siezed the motor. I was at home and had just driven 3 hours in it. Farewell, my friend and thank's for always getting me home.

2. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Guess its time to get a K5 then. [​IMG]

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I hope that you didn't sink a lot of $$$ in it to keep it on the road, I had an 88 nad all that thing did was eat money, I got rid of it 5 months ago for $1000 after sinking around $20,000 into it and have never been happier.
    Go find a cheap K5 and live the Built not Bought lifestyle.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey Blaze,
    Sell you my S-10 Zr2 ext cab pickup !!! I want to sell it to fix up my K5.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I've probably sunk $5000 into it, but it was worth it. This think could offroad like a champ. I've pulled K5's out of the mud with it. I do want a K5 now, though. I may be buying a 79 Bronco from a friend of mine, only because he is giving me a good deal on it and it has a 390hp 460 under the hood. Don't worry, I'm not abandoning my Blazer loyalty, just putting it on hold till I can find a 69-72 Blazer. Thanks for the offer rocko, but I need something bigger now. I've had this S-10 for 5 years now and I need to bump up a notch on the scale.

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Blaze, I'm sorry for your loose, it sounds like she was a real mule. But why give up on her? How about doing an LT1 swap? This way you won't lose everything you've invested so far and it'll be cheaper than starting all over. Think about it, small frame with lots of power, ah..., to dream, ah perchance to dream, that is the question.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. talldog has the right idea.. I haven't had any problems with my S-10.. It too offroad's like a champ.. good and light w/ a locker in the rear. I have til April to decide what I want to do w/ my S-10. But in the mean time.. the Blazer project goes on.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I wanted to do a v8 swap, but my truck's got a 2.8L v6 in it. It has a 60 degree bolt pattern and ever V8 has a 90 degree. I'd have to swap out the tranny and tcase too. I had a new tcase and rebuilt the tranny not too long ago, so that is out of the question. I might buy a 3.4 to swap in. I might try to take this 2.8, bore it and build it and see what I can get out of it. My problem is that I'm building a 75 Firebird right now and this Blazer is my daily driver. I can't really build it right now because I don't have anything else to drive.

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well you could always buy a beater just to get around in for the mean time. Not too long ago I bought a 79 Caprice for $600. Some drunk hit it from behind one night, later paid me $450, I still drove it even though it was wrecked until the tranny gave out and I just abandoned it. I miss my old "Bomber". And I regret walking away from it since the engine was strong, but oh well!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!