Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My saggin' rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

My saggin\' rear

Now that I have all the wierdos' attention who want to read about my rear, sorry. I meant my Blaze, lol [​IMG]. I had new springs all around put in the summer and I've never gotten the rear the way I wanted it. I had them put in an inch block but didn't like it and never got around to getting some more lift. Now that I'm putting in a 3.73 12-bolt rear I can fix it myself finally. I don't know what size block to use, keep mind that I have a 1" block already so we have to add that on top of what I need to determine proper block size.

Here are some comparisions between are dead stock '81 w/ 32" and my droopy '82 w/ 31"

These measurements are in the middle of the wheel well from the bottom of the chrome trim to the ground.

'81 K5 w/ 32" ---------------- '82 K5 w/ 31"
    Front 35 1/2" ---------------- Front 37 7/8"
    Rear 35 1/2" ---------------- Rear 35 9/16"

According to this I should replace my 1" block in the rear with a 3 5/16" block (if that even exists).

---------------------
    These measurements were taken from the tops of the bumpers where they rap around the body.

'81 K5 w/32" ------------------ '82 K5 w/ 31"
    Front 28"----------------------- Front 29 1/2"
    Rear 29 5/8" ------------------ Rear 29"

According to this I should replace my 1" block with a 3 1/8" (if that exists).

What should I replace my current 1" rear block with?

[​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: My saggin\' rear

Leave your 1" block in and go with a 2.5" Shackle Flip!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

3. Blazer_Boy

The block would be a lot less of a headache for me. I don't do any muddin I just want to level the rear out. I was thinking about getting a 4" block and having it machined down to the 3" and some change. I'm not sure if that'll throw off my front measurements or am I going to have to drop my T-Case with a 3" lift.

[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You should be fine with a 3" block in the rear. If y ou have someone machine it done, make sure they cheap the angle in the top of the block so it still raises your pinion...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

" Ah.. Hong Kong, home of shiny green suit!"

5. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Another alternative you might want to consider...well there is a shop in town where I live..(not sure if they have one where you do) that RE arcs springs........so Basicly if you want your old sagin rear fixed just have the spring re bent to how ever many inches...it's cheap to..im thinking 25-50 bucks a spring, they might ever pouder coat them to! My friend wanted his truck lifted 2 inches..well took his old springs rebent them and Whola he had 2 inches of lift...nifty and cheap.
    just a sugestion!

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

6. Blazer_Boy

Well the springs aren't even a year old. I beefed up the front with a 3 leaf model and the back with a 6 leaf model. The rear springs haven't sagged but just don't raise the back as high as the front. Way back in the fall I had the springs done while I was busy bustin my a$$ in football. I had the truck picked up for me because I didn't have anytime. I looked at it and thought it needed a little lift and so did the shop (my mom picked up it anyways). So she took it back again and had them put in a block. It looked OK but not quite right. I measured the bumper tops and they're dead even so they must have used that (back bumper is supposed to be higher). The shop I took it to was a HUGE one that does commerical and semi stuff. Its not really there fault, its not exactly a Peterbilt. I can take it down there and they'll level it for free, they did for the one inch block and they said bring it in again if you want more. I really like the place. Hmm, I'm wanting this real bad, I might take them up on this offer. That way all the U-Bolts will be fresh and easy to take off for my upcomming axle swap.

[​IMG]

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The wheel wells in back are lower than the front. Yours sounds about right. The 81's are off Either someone trimmed up the rear or the rear is jacked up. Also the back bumper is lower than the front. Try measuring from the rocker panels on level ground. Have owned 4 blazers a 78,79,89 and currently and 87 and none have had a saggy rear. The truck does give this inpression because of the lower rear bumper and fender well. Just my .02

8. Blazer_Boy

We've had the '81 since the day it came off the lot, well sort off. My grandparents bought the thing and it was too big for them to use so we bought it. The "genius" mechanic they had work on it before did some of his own special breed of repairs. All we've done to it is put in a motor. Its dead stock w/ 32"s.

[​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jon, the best place to measure for ride height comparison is the body line running down the truck. Make sure the truck is sitting on a level spot first though. With the soft top my Jimmy sits about 1/2" high towards the rear...if I were to measure the fenderwells I'd think it was low, but all that is is a little optical deception.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

10. Blazer_Boy

Maybe the '81 is the GM slingshot version Blazer, lol. Yup, it originaly came with a 305 and still has the 2.73s, a speed demon. I don't know what the deal is with it, its alot higher in the rear everywhere. I'm gonna take it down to the spring shop and play with some looks. They're pretty cool down there and will let ya get out there and check things out. I'm sure they have a floor jack around there somewhere. Just put it on the frame and raise the sucker to see what I like. Then after its all said and done I'll drop a level on top the hard top. I want my rear just slightly higher for when I put some weight in the rear.

[​IMG]

11. Blazer_Boy

Well I went down to the spring place and had them put in them an inch extra in the rear. The blocks they use are pretty cool. Usually I've seen the ones that are kinda hollowed, this sucker is totally solid, weighs a buttload. Anyways that 1" more actually moved it up more than an inch. It sits a smidgen higher in the rear, exactly what I wanted. I guess that raise brought that rear springs into action. Before it would take the bumps good in the front but very harsh in the rear. Now it glides over the bump and thats the end of the story. I didn't want the cushy ride where it bounces a while after hitting a bump. This setup is gonna kick butt when I go fishing (after I get my 3.73s in first, duh, lol). I can't believe that another block made such a huge difference. At first I thought it was kinda of placeabo effect but everyone who's ridden in it before says its a better ride. I love how the thing looks now, finally feel proud. I'm gonna be busting at the seams after my body work and paint. It finally doesn't look like its squating down to take a crap anymore, lol.

[​IMG]