Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My SAS S10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Said I'd post pictures when it rolled out of the garage, well towed it here to school so it definetally rolled out of the garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well there it is. Front high pinion Dana 60 is moved 10" forward of the stock "axle centerline". 100.5" now it is 110.5". Will be moving it forward 1.5" more(to help correct the pitman arm to steering arm alignment and approach angle). Rear axle will be pushed back with the 4 link setup. Not certain how much yet. Want to help departure a little but don't care for much more wheelbase. Going to section the front fenders to get a bigger wheel opening and more underhood space.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool man, you gonna move the rear back at all? You're gonna link the back correct?

BTW, how far is school from home? You left the hubs uncovered the whole way?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

300 miles. Yes left them uncovered, rained too :doah: Entire front end is getting rebuilt before it sees the trailer. New wheel bearings are sitting in the shop. Everything is so greasy I don't have any worries.

Yes rear axle is moving back, not sure how much yet.

I really need to clean up some of the work I did at home. Grind down and build up some welds to make it all look better. Gusset up the front frame extension and mounts.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what springs did ya use up front? look like 56's?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

52s. Going to remove the overload and replace it with a zero rate to move the axle forward without adding height.

56s would have come back too far under the frame to allow for a shackle. I built it trying hard to keep it as low as possible. Actually ended up lower than I anticipated, will see how it works out.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks kinda funny with full width axles on it. so how much lift total is it gonna have? are the springs in the front the actual hieght its gonna be, or are they just for mockup?

looks good man :bow:

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the real question is, where did you find a rust free 80's model s10 in PA?

that thing looks sharp.

ryan

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Florida :D

Dad bought it off of a guy soon after he moved up here when I was 15, technically its my first car :haha:

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Wow, you really moved that axle forward. How far do you think? Have you gotten your steering figured out yet?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10" forward.

Steering, I have an Astro steering box with stock astro pitman arm. Going to see if I can ream it to the proper size. Need to move the axle 1.5" forward yet to line up the pitman arm and steering arm better.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

What size tires you planning on running on that thing? Even if you were going to use those dinky ones you've got on there just to move it around, I'd think you might as well take the whole front fenders off as much trimming you'd have to do.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I know, but my dad wants to see the fenders stretched out, and what he wants is usually best to do because he'll bug me about it forever if I don't at least try it.

Going with 39.5" IROKs.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no offense dude, but i think its time to get off the teat, and tell daddy to pick up some tools if he's gonna be that way. my dad tried that stuff with me with my first truck, and he quickly learned its my money, and my labor going into it. dont like the way its going? contribute something, and maybe you'll have a say in the outcome.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my dad does contribute, and I think the extended fenders could look quite good, won't know until I do it. My way is the easy way, but hey the easy way is rarely the right way so I might as well try it. Though getting dad off my back is a big part of it.

If I really cared what my dad said about it or listened to him when I build things, the truck would either be a circle track dirt car or it would be sitting on 36s and be street driveable, while that would be nice, I like where it is going better.

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stretching the fenders would be a lot of work for them to end up dented and wrinkled from woods trails.

Have you considered cutting from the top of the arch of the wheel well straight forward?

16. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That's going to be some serious stretching then to center up the tires in the new fenders. You'd be stretching the hood also, as well as the rest of the entire front end too for that matter.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm aware. What do you mean the rest of the front end? fenders and hood is all it would be.

Cutting straight forward from the arch was my idea for it. Especially since there is no parking lights(they were in the front bumper).

May do that yet, thing is the frame extension would make a great winch mount.

18. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

sweet s-10
    I need to get mine going again

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Man Alan, nice progress. I cant wait to see your rear link job, mind takin a butt load of pics for me during the process?

20. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

hmm...fullsizes narrow the front end and midsizes make it wider