Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Saturday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I wake up this morning and turn on Weather Channel. Temp is -11, yeehaw. Go gas up the ambulance,realize I forgot one jack and my blocks, go back home.
    I get to the T Bird, and start diigging it out(2 feet of snow). It is now -7, so it is warming up a bit. The sun feels REALLY good on my back. I get the snow removed off of and around the car. Now I can see the flat tires. Apparently the car was moved with flat tires in the mud. Can't even see 3 of the valve stems, they are underground.
    I now discover that the car is so low to the ground, that my floor jack won't fit under it. Get out the bottle jack and try that-it sinks out of sight. Get out the pieces of 3/4 plywood, put them under the jack. Now we're cookin! Raise the car enough to get the floor jack under the lower A arms in front. Remove front rollers and put on one doughnut spare, and my old Dodge truck spare. 2 hours has expired at this point.
    On to the back,which is even lower than the front. What's this? There is an old chrome bolt on hitch in back! Set the plywood, insert the bottle jack and start pumping. At full extension, still not enough room for floor jack. Open up trunk, get out OE bumper jack(I hate bumper jacks). Use bumper jack to raise car enough to get floor jack underneath. So, now all 4 tires have been changed. 4 hours have come and gone.
    On to the good stuff. Put a battry in, and the cables won't reach the non Ford battery. I got this one covered. Pull 1 of 3 batteries outta the ambulance, problem solved. What's this loose plug???? The volt regulator is MIA. Go pull one offa 84 Crown Vic-another problem solved. It is now 3pm, and I haven't eaten since 8am. Check all the fluids-low on PS and antifreeze. No problem, I came prepared. Now add fuel-gas cap is gone! I don't want to think about what is in the tank at this point. Ok, finally ready to start this monster. Surprise-the starter won't disengage. Maybe the ignition switch is sticking. Get out the LPS and spray the crap outta the switch. Now the switch turns a lot easier. Hook battery cables back to battery and try again. DAMN,. the starter is still sticking. I have another starter with me, but is it now 5pm, and I am very tired. Tomorrow I will drag it into my buddy's shop, where it is dry and almost warm and tackle the starter. I know this does not compare to Allan's adventures, but it was more than I expected. With my luck, when I show up tomorrow, all 4 tires will be flat!!!!

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good recovery day, don't tell me you wern't having fun out there!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, it sounds like you had a pretty good "bad day". I'm willing to bet you were loving every minute of it.

4. 3 on the tree

If I had gotten it running, I would have been happy. I haven't heard a 10.5 to 1 comp motor run in awhile. The odometer shows 49K, and I have the original 1970, 1 owner title. Elec sunroof, vac doorlocks, AM/8 track player. Guess I will have to go to the thrift store and pick up some 8 tracks now!!!

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Any way to pre-oil before firing it? You don't want to fry a bearing.

6. 3 on the tree

Thanks to my starter, it has spun for 5-6 minutes without firing, so I think it has been pre-oiled, but I may squirt some oil down the sparkplug holes tomorrow. How ya think it would sound with some Flowmaster 40 series on it? Right now it has factory duals with 2 mufflers and 2 resonators. I want to hear this Bird roar!

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well mrk5's FM40's sound great. I imagine that T-bird would sound pretty damn healthy.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe..

I could be that its the solenoid sticking,if its not mounted on the starter like a GM starter (some big block Fords had a similar setup as GM)..or maybe the bendix splines are rusty.spay the crap out of them with the LPS if you can get near them...anything would be better than trying to put in a starter under those conditions outside!..I'd DRAG the thing somewhere if it were me...

I borrow a car trailer or a ramp truck if I have a vehicle like that to mess with now that I have a garage..40 degrees above with the wood stove going INSIDE is much better than below zero outside,especially if the wind is blowing..!

Its been 50-60 degrees here all week!:screwy: ..but its going down like a submarine tonight..gonna be 11 degrees tomorrow night..:mad1: ..not much snow this year (bare ground,lots of rain though)..but I don't miss it..:crazy:

9. 3 on the tree

Tomorrow, the starter gets pulled. I have anaother starter that I think will fit. Come hell or high water, I WILL drive it home tomorrow!!!