Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Saturn, need opinions on running issue...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 16, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah well bought the Saturn today, I didn't really care to but Dad thought it was a steal so we got it(his money his decision). Anyway it runs like crap. He says when he test drove it days ago it was smooth and great. Anyway, it ran out of gas(dumbass p.o.) when we were test driving(when we went to park it). After that its been fighting starting. To start it you have to hold the accelerater to the floor then it will fire off. Otherwise it just cranks and cranks. Smokes when it starts up and when I used carb cleaner down the intake it left a nice black spot on the driveway. Same when I revved it up for a little bit(held it near limit trying to clear it out a little). It was low on oil so I figured rings weren't sealing well enough. Topped it off, still no good. Going to change the fuel filter tomorrow. Thing only cost $700 and KBB says 1,500 in the condition its in so I could spend a few bucks on it and make it decent and still be alright. Anyone have thoughts on whats up? When it does start it goes to die then revs back up, goes to die, revs back up, a few times. When you put it in park it revs up to about 2,000 for no apparent reason. It did it when I test drove it, the guy was like "uhh how about not killing my car?", Uhh I didn't do it(in a nasty tone).

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the battery, then yank the plugs and clean & gap 'em. Swap out that fuel filter, then reconnect the battery and give it a whirl. The battery deal should clear any codes and the learned profile, and it should re-learn itself.
    I don't know if the Saturn has an IAC, but that's kinda what the symptoms sound like - an IAC that's stuck open.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Maybe check for a leaking intake gasket, ive seen them before where they have a huge vacuum leak and it causes all sorts of wierd things.