Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Score of the Week

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There is this family owned lumber yard here in town. I"m in the back picking out trim, and back in a corner covered with dust is a portable generator. I ask one of the family, what's the deal with the generator? She said one of their drivers backed into it, messed it up, so the lumber yard had to buy a new generator for the contractor. I asked if they want to sell it. She said, "make me an offer". So I offered her 200 bucks. She said SOLD! I load it up and get it home. After work, I start tinkering with it. Had to cut the cage cause it was mangled. Anyhow, I got it started and checked it out. It runs great, and the gen set is working. It is a Makita 5500 watt unit, with elec start. Replacement cost is $1700 !!!! I'm gonna take it out of the cage and mount it in my ambulance in the compartment already set up for it. Now I can go to work off the grid.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sweet but you should have started with the typical Fumes bid of 50.00 bucks...Now your wallet is too thin young grasshopper... :D

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Why do you have an ambulance? That sounds like a killer work vehicle...

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bid on it at a county auction, just for grins. Got it for 250 bucks. 81 E350, 4.10 posi, the motor and trans werre both replaced bout 35K miles ago. It is a great work rig. I can haul ALL my tools, plus 20 sheets of sheetrock, 2X4s, nails, etc. It still has the sirens and lights also. The gas mileage sucks, but at least all my equipment is in one place and secure.

IM000122.JPG

IM000123.JPG

IM000124.JPG

IM000125.JPG

IM000126.JPG

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dood that is one sweet ride...Now I have to start working on my 69 caddy limo :laugh: :bow:

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, nice!

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Bring it to the next trail run, just in case.

You lucky SOB, that generator was a steal.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Do you turn the lights on when your running late ;)

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Lots of them here..

Many contractors are buying up the ambulances for sale at auction here too!--mostly ford E-350's,with the diesel engines--many sell for 500-1000 bucks! :eek1: --a lot of guy buy them at town auctions only to re-sell at a high profit!..one junkyard I frequent recently bought 6 ambulances,and a fleet of those "airport Limo" E-350 vans from a taxi service,and they would have made SWEET campers-high enough roof to stand up inside,they all had IHC diesel engines--but they busted them up so bad with the forkloader,getting them off the flatbed truck,they ruined the bodys on them..such a waste! :doah:

They also got many medical transport vans with wheelchair lifts--they made great power tailgates for a pickup with some modifications.. :laugh:

My brother bid on and won a 1978 GMC K3500 "Rescue Wagon" with a 155" wheelbase in his small town about 5 years ago--a really well set up truck--400sbc,TH400,4x4,Dana 60 front,dual rear wheels!--he intended to sell the aluminum diamond plate "rescue" body as a trailer (mounted on a different chassis),and make a ramp truck out of it--but time was short,and he never got around to it--the truck was rotted,needed doors,fenders,and rockers--he got the truck for only 700 bucks!--

I told him to cut out the Dana 60.he could sell it alone for that much,I had a Dana 44 he could have tossed in to sell it,but he ended up GIVING it to a friend in exchange for a paint job on his pickup,and some carpentry work! :doah: ---I would have fixed it up!--he still has the rescue body sitting in the yard--probably end up in the scrapyard! :( ..

I attend town auctions,even if I have little money!--one I went to at a DPW garage in a nearby small town had a treasure trove of bucket loaders,old fire trucks,sanders,engines,etc..one guy bought a Hough loader in rough but useable shape for 250 bucks!(cost more to have it delivered to his yard than to buy it)--but he tinkered with it,used it on his new house lot,and sold it for 5000 bucks a few months later!..many of the things went for pennies on the dollar,like boxes of brand new 24V generators and regulators for old army M715 Jeeps the town had for plowing years ago,and a nearly rust free 1958 ford F750 went for 200 bucks with a dump body,plow,and a running 292 V8--that guy sold it in the want ads a week later for 1500 bucks... :crazy: