Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Seat Issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

I am tired of my broken driver seat, the seat is in good condition, but the mechanics in it are bad, it wont adjust it only has one position. Do any of you know anywhere where i can find the new parts, or is it time for me to buy a new seat entirely, if so where can I get them at? Any links would help me. Oh and I finally got my pics of my blazer up to my website check it out if ya want.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Find someone that's parting a 86 and newer Blazer or Jimmy and buy the seat track, base etc and replace yours. The seat unbolts from all of that quite easily.

rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds to me like an EXTREMELY easy fix. Look underneath and see if the spring that is supposed to run from one track to the other is intact. Without that spring, the lever will move, but the OTHER track won't unlatch...the spring allows both track mechanism's to unlatch at the same time. You can't miss the spring, its quite long. Look to any mid 80's GM car with manual seats to see what spring I'm talking about if you are missing it.

4. Krase

Krase Registered Member

Sorry It is the mechanics in the chair that makes it recline and stop reclining in a certain postion, it is stuck in the only one position, it will slide forward and back but the reclining part is broke. I have looked at local junkyards for a suitable replacement and cannot find any, therefore i am trying to replace the internals and keep the good material from my seat.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahh ok. I see what you mean now. You might try taking it fully apart though, seeing how they go together/whats broken, and see if another GM 80's car can donate the necessary pieces... it's kind of a long shot that parts will interchange (but maybe you can have someone repair whats broken, they probably a simple machanism), but more likely than finding K5 reclining buckets in the yard : )

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Went through some of this myself recently. You can try the junkyards, but they'll want to sell you the whole seat. I had to call my loacl dealer and get parts through them. That may be your only option here.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I just went and bought seats from a fiero for 20 each. lumabr and everything; installed wet okie seat covers and mounted them to the factory brackets ;-)