Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My secondaries don't work... New QJet!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 3, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

My secondaries don\'t work... New QJet!

I've got the Edelbrock 1910 carb, which only on rare occasion will ever open its sceondaries... which makes for a pretty pathetic 454. Why would they not be functioning correctly? I would have to say that the choke is opening all the way, since the idle DOES kick down to about 750-800RPM. What else should I be looking for?

Let me say this - when they DO open, its one hell of a ride! So much more power... why can't they work everytime I floor the damn thing like my Holley did? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Please help this "carburated engine" challenged CK5er! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

-Dan

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: My secondaries don\'t work... New QJet!

On the pass side there is a little block out lever that is part of the choke linkage. This lever keeps the lower secondariy flaps from opening. It is free swinging when the choke is open and can still swing into the lockout position. I removed this little arm altogether. It is only there to keep the secondaries from opening while the motor is cold.
    Hope this helps

3. KRAZIE87K5

LMAO! I can just whack that little arm outta there, and be okay otherwise? Cause let me tell you... it really SUX to hit that pedal, and not get the UMPH when the secondaries refuse to open! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Can I do that with side cutters, or will I need to remove the carb and grind it off?

-Dan

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I removed mine when I had the carb off. It comes right off (I have the 1901) Or you can just zip tie it open for a test. No grinding or cutting needed. You will see it, the shaft that goes from side to side that the butterfies are on has a pin on the pass side, that pin is what hits the freefloating choke arm.
    I hope that made sence???

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like your secondary air flap adjustment is too tight. Bring a small straight blade screwdriver and some allenwrences and Ill get ya working!

I had a Firebird Bracket racer that ran a Q-Jet so I know a little about them.

Okay, if you insist that I tell ya here... On the Passenger side of the secondaries there will be a boss at the top with a flat blade screw going horizontal into the boss. On the bottom side of this boss there is a socket set screw which holds the adjustment screw in place. Basically what you need to do is get the apropriate sized screwdriver and allen wrench and insert the allen wrench into the screw. Hold the adjustment screw with a screwdriver (this is spring loaded) and loosen the allen screw. Now since your airflap is too tight, loosen this adjustment lightly (only 1/16 turn at a time). For optimum performance you will want to loosen this adjustment until a noticeable bog is heard. From there, tighten the adjustment until the bog is gone and you are perfect. Your 60 foot times will improve drastically! (an old dragracing term). /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

YOU ROCK BURT! Last night I zip tied the little lever away from the secondary rod, and I found the other half of my engine! I can't believe I didn't notice this before! Damn sometimes I feel pretty stupid! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Ah well... @ least I learned something! Thanks again!

-Dan

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    Cool man, glad I could help!! Good Luck

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might just want to double/triple/quadruple check your choke linkage. I know people say that lockout tang causes problems, but I have NEVER had one on all my vehicles, on all my Q-jets (and I've swapped a few, believe me) give me problems.

Personally, unless the thing is sticky on its shaft, I don't see it causing problems, just a symptom of the choke setup not working quite right.