Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Senator is (are) an embarassment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My not-camera-shy senator Chuck Schumer pisses me off. I think at this point, just hearing his name pisses me off because it reminds me that this politician has the power to influence my lifestyle.
    He wants the oil reserves tapped to lower gas prices. Now, I'm no fan of the absolutely insane price of gas, but I'm even less a fan of NO GAS. Last time I checked, there weren't lines at the pump, and when there are, I would feel better knowing the oil reserves that existed for just such a time were intact and being used to keep the country from sinking... Schumer apparently thinks the 70's crisis can never happen again and we're fat dumb and happy enough to dip into our savings account when it's inconvenient, rather than direly necessary...

From Bush weighing option to release oil from reserves:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9117057/

Don't even get me started about my other senator...

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I thought it was more of a refining issue than an oil supply issue :dunno:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I feel for Ya Brother, cause Im in about the same boat :crazy:
    As far as tapping the reserves goes I say no way. We as Americans simply waste to much gas by driving our gas guzzlers and waste gas on trips. Hell I drove 12 miles for a cup of coffee this morning in my V8 truck just cause I was to lazy to make it for My self. Yeah lets tap the reserves for that :rolleyes:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I can understand tapping for disaster and uncontrollable events like the hurricane's damaging major refiner's, but Schumer wants to tap it to lower the price of gas, basically, to keep our convenience level up.

Corey, I hear that. I was doing the same thing until I realized I can't afford it any more... That's why I got the motorcycle. I'll spend $1.50 in gas when I work out east instead of $10 in the car, and I'm hoping $1-2 a week instead of $10-15 a week for my normal commute. Although, if I was still driving the K5, I'm sure that would be like $20 a day at the current prices... It was around $10 a day when the price of gas was still under $2...

I don't want to tap our "Last resort to keep the country from grinding to a halt" just to make it easier to drive the minivan around... I have serious doubts that Schumer has actually investigated the feasibility and reality of this. He is just an opportunist who is grabbing opportunity to be on camera looking like he's fighting for the people. He probably has no intention of ever seeing the reserve opened up.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The silly part is that tapping the reserves will have a very - very small effect on our gas prices. I don't think he can get the political momentum to make it happen, but I agree it is a stupid idea.

6. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

Or we can simply invade another oil rich foreign country, lose about 2000 kids, and still pay astronomically high gas prices.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Or we can be self righteous and miopic while still being very selfish

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Wow, what an insight. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just type "No Blood For Oil" and "Bu****ler" in your post.

Perfect username clueless.

Run down to Crawford, Cindy could use your help.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

gj, he obviously must've not read the poll post for people's politics. Wrong board to post that and have people on your side.

Johnny, tell that to just one of the many guys here who have actually gone over there that they were only there for oil to their face and see what happens.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Whether he read it or not: ASSHAT!!!!

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

$8 word of the day....

my .02, i vote for drilling Alaska...

12. 89GMCSuburban

Yeah, and still not have refinery capacity to turn the oil into gas.

We need to just build a refinery on an old, closed down military base so we can give eco-nazis the finger. That's what we really need.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The poster of this quotes name says it all.

Prolly should be Johnny F$&Knuckle.

Ira

14. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

Let me apologize for what I said in this post - really didn't mean for it to come across like that. I'm just frustrated like the rest of you guys with this damn gas crisis. The previous post was right on - I'm an asshat for that statement - my apology

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i didn't know that was the case... didn't realize we where light in that department...

imo, we should just be drilling wherever it is, we will eventually anyway...

16. Resurrection_Joe

Wow, decorum, good for you! :thumb:

17. 89GMCSuburban

Yeah, haven't built a refinery since the 70's because of costs involved, mainly dealing with eco-nazis and the spotted gecko that's endangered. Most of them are running at 98% capacity, so when one goes down, we don't make enough gas and prices roll up.

I hear you Johnny, props for the apology. We're all feeling it pretty hard. The Burb is almost $100 to fill up right now.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I must apologize also for my words. I just get aggrevated being military and having anything that involves gas price increases being blamed on the military. Now lets all have a group hug :D

Ira

19. Resurrection_Joe

Lov Love Love Bum Ba Bum

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Idea...

I think a refinery on an old abandoned military base is a good idea!--the land at most of them are polluted superfund sites anyway,littered with jet fuel,ammunition,etc..A refinery wouldn't hurt it any more than it already is..and its already owned by the government!..it would be to their advantage too--military vehicles need gas and diesel too..

Just like the guy I met at the landfill,who suggested it would be an ideal place for those windmills that make electricity--its the highest spot in town,always windy there even if its calm everywhere else in town,and no other good uses for the land anyway(except some towns have capped their landfill and made yuppie golf courses out of them :surepal: --dont forget to bring a clothespin for your nose! :eek: )...

One thing for sure--this is a wake up call for the USA!--its now apparant we are in a bind as far as energy,and its cost!..something needs to be done,and it shoulda been done 15 years ago...we are going into a huge recession very soon if this keeps up for long.. :(

This storm also shows how silly our "evacuation" plans woukd work in a neuclear disaster,or even a big natural disaster..I would rather die in the comfort of my own home,than on a freeway full of gridlocked traffic!--all it would take is one bridge to fail,and thousands will be stranded.. :crazy: