Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my setup is it gonna be good ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Jan 19, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

ok i have a 7 inch lift 3 body 4 sus and im gonna be running 15x38.5x15 ground hawgs with stock corp 12 bolt with posi and dana 44 front with 4:56's or 5:13's wanna try to keep the center of gravity low so im gonna cut the fenders a litte to fit the 38's what do u think or the setup ?....thanks guys

2. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

shitty, there will be severe carnage with 38s on a 44 and 12 bolt, u need one ton gear aka dana 60 14 bolt, dont wast ur money gearing shitty axles

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I think you are going to get real good at changing axles, carriers and u-joints with this set-up. Have you even considered the small brakes? 38.5's are big and heavy, good luck stopping. Then there are those dainty little 7/16" lugs holding all that rubber on the truck, gives me the shivers just thinking about all the possible ways to break your truck.

Of course all this is just my opinion. I think the best part is when you break an axle with the 12 bolt and that 38.5" tire rim and whats left of the axle passes your truck and pastes some soccer mom.[​IMG] C-clips [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If your're easy on the throttle, you can make the 12 live, but the front wont. Save your lunch money and get the 1 ton stuff instead ot the fancy 6 lug wheels. You'll have a much better time in the woods knowing you wont break anything. It may be cheaper to keep the 1/2 ton stuff, but 1 ton axles are money wells spent. If you wheel hard, you'll break 1/2 ton stuff frequently. And once you rebuild the 1/2 ton stuff once or twice, you'll have spent as much to do it right the first time. Plus, you can find 1 ton axles already with 4.56s in them. Grind the front calipers some, add some 3.5" backspacing 15" rims, and a hybrid u-joint and you're set. Dana 60s are out there, you just have to keep your eyes peeled and find someone who doesnt know what they have. Another member of this board got a set of 1 ton axles with 4.10s for $250. If you're going to lay down the cash for 38s, I say be on the safe side and do it right once, it's cheaper than doing it the wrong way twice!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go to the "body lifts-are they worth the effort" and read my post.
    No, dont use the 12 bolt. I still saw lug nuts fly at 60 mph with 33" tires on them. Yes, the nuts and studs broke off and I saw "chrome, shiny nuts flying forward ahead of me out the window at 60 mph"!!!!!!!!!!!! Those 7/16 studs are about the worst thing the gm engineers came up with. Trust me on this. I had several 1/2 tons and finally settled on my two one tons I have now. One has 4" lift riding 35" and the other has the 6" riding 39" mickeys and soon to be lifted 3" more for the fender clearance. Both hold up very, very well on the drivetrain set up. Never had any problems with them.

6. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

allright thanks alot for the advise .....i apriciate it .....

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

My buds keep saying the 3/4 ton axles bolt right up on the perches but the 1 ton don't ...so if ya find the HD 3/4 its good?

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"