Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My shifter's screwed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Witch Doctor, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Witch Doctor

Witch Doctor Registered Member

My shifter\'s screwed

i need some help with my np203 shifter. long story short, i rebuilt my 203 before taking a trip to the houston airport(250 miles) where i left for overseas. when i got into houston a grinding sound could be heard when decelerating. i believe this is due to my shifter out of alignment(i tried to align it myself but got frustrated and manually shifted them with a cresent) what i need to know is, does the linkage coming directly out of the case both need to point in the same direction when in Hi? right now they are NOT pointing in the same direction. ALL i need is hi operation to make it home.

thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: My shifter\'s screwed

It's been a while since I have adjusted one.

If you look at the shifter there is holes in both the arms that move the linkages. You supose to put a pin or nail in those holes. I can't remember if the shifter needs to be in High or Neutral. Anyway once the arms are lined up adjust the linkages.

Also the tail shaft end play is critical. To loose and the Diff carrier can contact the housing. to tight and it beats on the tail shaft bearings.

Also if you part timed the case at the time did you run it in LOC and get some oil back up into the tail shaft reservior?

3. Witch Doctor

unfortunately most of my tools are far away and dont have the time nor the patience to adjust the shift rods in the parking lot where it is.if anyone with an NP203 can look under thier /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and tell me how they are supposed to point in Hi, i would greatly appreciate it.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

which direction the levers are pointing from the shaft outwards in hi range on a 203 ? my 77 203 levers point

lever closest to frame rail: towards front of truck(angled down and forward, not straight forward or straight down)

lever closest to 203 case straigt down

these are the levers on the shift shaft on the cas eitself, not the shifter levers,

shifter levers are same way in Hi range, one is straight down and other is towards front a little

so you have adjustable rods on your 203? mine are solid non adjustable fixed length, unless adjustment is not supposed to be on the rods ?

5. Witch Doctor

[ QUOTE ]
    which direction the levers are pointing from the shaft outwards in hi range on a 203 ? my 77 203 levers point

thank you

unfortunately coming home from houston last night my fears came true. the case started grinding periodically on I-10 and eventually i had to shut it down 40 miles from beamount. not enough tools and no-lights and i had to call it a night and call a ride.

Anyone want a 78 K5??????? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lever closest to frame rail: towards front of truck(angled down and forward, not straight forward or straight down)

lever closest to 203 case straigt down

these are the levers on the shift shaft on the cas eitself, not the shifter levers,

shifter levers are same way in Hi range, one is straight down and other is towards front a little

so you have adjustable rods on your 203? mine are solid non adjustable fixed length, unless adjustment is not supposed to be on the rods ?

[/ QUOTE ]