Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My shock hardware is fused to the axle bracket!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Today I attempted the simple process of replacing my shocks. No problem except on one corner (driver's front) where I could not get the bolt out from the bracket at the axle. I have front duals, so I popped the outer shock off, but the spacer was rusted to the bolt which was rusted to the bracket.

So far I've torched the thing, soaked it with WD-40 and pounded the heck out of it with a BFH. I've attempted to rotate the bolt with a breaker bar and even put a wrench on it and jacked under it - all to no avail.

Finally I got a cutoff wheel and cut both sides of the bolt off so it's flush with the bracket on both sides! I still can't hammer the remaining bit of bolt through. Looking at the sides of the bracket, it looks almost like continuous metal with just a little circle of rust outlining the bolt.

Any suggestions how to get this out? I tried drilling, but the hardened steel refuses to give up any more than a little dimple (cobalt bit). Man, I'm stumped.

My next thing that I can think of is to run the cutoff wheel up beside the shock on both sides. I'm not sure if the (now melted) shock bushing will gum up the wheel though.

Gotta love the rust belt!

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Heat up the bracket till it's red, then smack the remain's of the bolt with a big punch and a big hammer. All is well.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Burn the bushing out with the torch, tun use the cut off wheel and finish off the bolt

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try spreading the bracket apart and sliding the whole deal out...

5. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Heat up the bracket till it's red, then smack the remain's of the bolt with a big punch and a big hammer. All is well.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have is propane and MAP gas torches, not sure if I could get it red... Maybe.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Map will do it, just cook it till it's red, and then smack it. I deal with rusted pin's, bolt's, that kinda crap on a daily basis. Rust no like heat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have done many shocks that have been difficult ,to say the least.Usually I have to spend about an hour trying to get that metal sleeve in the bushing off the mounting stud without ruining the stud,usually have to cut a slot in it with the torch,without hurting the stud,then a pipe wrench will start to "peel"it off.It really stinks when the rust is holding the stuff you want off the truck firmly to it,while its slowly dissolving the rest of it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Just cut the "eye" on the shock off, then cut through the rubber bushing, sleeve and bolt... and presto! Done! That's just how I'd do it though, you can hammer if you'd like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Mastiff

Got it out finally. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I did a little of everything. Cut inside the bracket on both sides with the cutoff wheel (but could only get so far with a 4" wheel), heated it with MAPP gas, soaked it with liquid wrench and pounded. Finally it started budging.

Who knew it could be so tough to change shocks? You can rest assured that there will be plenty of anti-seize slathered all over upon reinstallation.

I decieded to POR-15 the bracket, so I'll finsih up tomorrow when it's cured.

10. TruckNutzDude

Don't forget to use nylock nuts when you put all that anti sieze on. I'd hate having a shock fall off because you dropped a nut /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget to use nylock nuts when you put all that anti sieze on. I'd hate having a shock fall off because you dropped a nut /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the anti-seize is so effective that it will prevent a normal lock washer from working right?

12. TruckNutzDude

nah, just being a smart arse... isn't that the whole point of replying to a post? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif