Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my sm465 rebuild (update)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mdm365, Jul 16, 2003.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

First off I want to thank-----dyeager and krazie87k5 for the tips and some pics however I still had a hard time getting the bearings off of the main shaft and the counter shaft real pita /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Anyway I did get it back together and will soon be running /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI had to do the mainshaft and all the bushings and a gear or two and also the shift tower had a broken detent spring no wonder why it locked up once in a while so I rebuild that also.I will update and let you all know how well it works thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Re: my sm465 rebuild (update)

[ QUOTE ]
    First off I want to thank-----dyeager and krazie87k5 for the tips and some pics however I still had a hard time getting the bearings off of the main shaft and the counter shaft real pita /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Anyway I did get it back together and will soon be running /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI had to do the mainshaft and all the bushings and a gear or two and also the shift tower had a broken detent spring no wonder why it locked up once in a while so I rebuild that also.I will update and let you all know how well it works thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] well it did not go so well /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I was able to shift the trans in to all the gears when it sat as soon as I got it fired up shifted in to all gears and went to back up and it feels like its binding (like the e-brake is on)Is not I checked that.I went around the block and it would not shift in 2nd but it would go in to 3rd WTF is going on?Any body had the same problem? Any ideas? you know I wanted to sell this thing but seconds after the thought I was trying to figure out how to fix the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifWhat love we all have for this truck. mike

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you seat the pilot bushing fully?

4. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did you seat the pilot bushing fully?

[/ QUOTE ] mj all the bushings are pressed on all the way I used a 12 ton press.I made sure of that!!!I will be putting pics up on my website later on to night. thanks mike

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the pilot bushing is on the crankshaft
    if you changed it out and didnt seat it fully it will effect the transission endplay

6. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the pilot bushing is on the crankshaft
    if you changed it out and didnt seat it fully it will effect the transission endplay

[/ QUOTE ]sorry I did not catch pilot part /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.yes Its ok, I had replaced everything from pilot bushing to the trans bearing retainer about 200 miles ago.I just replaced the mainshaft in the trans things seemd to work fine shifting and all.the mainshaft seemed to rotate ok during the install. I fired it up and moved it feels like is bound up.I cant seem to get it into 2nd now very hard shifting /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifwhen I put it in gear and let the clutch out it will move but feels like the breaks ar on(there not)I try to shift from 2nd to third wont go in.

7. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

no one have any ideas /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifmike