Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My sm465 stick hits my dash - WUWT?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Dec 11, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Every once in while (seems all the time now) my manually tranny stick hits the dash corner - (the very edge dash next to the radio) when I shift to 2nd (L - 1, 2, 3 - R). It doesn't hit it in Low, only when I shift to Second.

What's Up With That?

It's more of an annoyance than anything.

Anyone else get this from a conversion or from a factory setup?

I think my stick has too much slop in it (flame away!) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    How can I correct this? Is there any hope?

I am a little worried that my tranny needs some bushings or something...

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the same problem but I think it's because of my unique setup. Check my profile for more on that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I think you could have bad engine mounts which could tilt the whole assembly forward.
    If not then just bend the shifter rod. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The shifter in my red truck nearly touches the dash too...but it's a truck and I think it may be my rear cab mounts wearing out.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Take the shifter out. Take it apart and make new bushings out of some fuel line or something similar. If that doesn't do it and it's not your body/motor/tranny mounts, bend the shifter some.

5. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Take the shifter out and inspect the bottom of the stick. There's a weld down there that has prolly cracked, mine was.

James

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with the cracked weld idea for one, I've shifted ones with and without that weld cracked, and sure enough, the uncracked one had much less slop in it.

Not sure on the motor mount idea, I could go either way. My dads truck had broken motor mount *perches*, and the motor was sagging so bad the balancer was rubbing the crossmember, but it still didn't hit the dash.

Can you put it in 2nd with the truck off, and just push the stick easily forward far enough to hit the dash, or do you have to basically put so much force in it you are moving the drivetrain a bit to get it to hit?

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm - I guess I should have stated my obvious mount isues. Sorry about that...

New poly bushings in both engine mounts, and tranny mounts.
    Also poly bushings and 1" body lift.

I will check the shifter stick itself for cracks???
    I have never seen one before. Are there other things to look for on the stick, or on the top of the transmission?

I like the fuel-line idea. WHere do these go? On the stick itself?

How do I go about bending this big piece of metal rod? Do I need to heat up the bends? Will a propane torch work?

It would be nice if the stick came closer to my seat... Or I could grow longer arms!