Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Spare Tire Mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GEORGIA GABE, May 25, 2005.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to show the spare tire mount that I built. I havent seen one like it before and thought it might help someone else out. basically I didnt like the designs that swing out to the side. I have had them swing too far, they get in the way ect. I made mine flip straight down. the actual space lost at the rear is insignificant for my use. And it comes in really handy as a step in the down position. Tell me what you think, as with the whole truck it is a work in progress.

gabe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the last image is of the thumb screws that I made to anchor it. The weight is actually distributed to the top of the bumper when tight

thanks for looking
    :grin: gabe

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well it has been done and around for a while just not that I have seen with that type of metal. I have one made of tubing. DP_90K5 made my setup.
    [​IMG]

Mine sits a little higher to hep with departure angles. Only thing I didn't like at first was that it took up my rear view mirror, but hey I am over it now.
    Tell you what though, I love mine. So easy to get the tire on and it serves as a great little step up to get stuff in the back of the truck. This pic is a year or so old so still had the little tires on there. Great looking bumper and truck. I need to find a way to incorporate my hi lift on the back of the truck somehow.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If you wouldn't mind lookin the other way, I think I'm either gonna steal your whole truck or at the very least your idea. :crazy:

That's pretty trick. Good work! :)

4. GEORGIA GABE

i like yours alot :blush: , I wish that i could make mine more trail practical but it is my daily right now. I wanted to go with tubes but I just dont have a tubing bender. I want one badly but havent got it yet. This was built using scraps I had laying around the shop. the part of it I hadnt seen anyone do was the large angle iron for the base. thanks for the input
    gabe :grin:

5. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I love how you mounted the Hi-Lift to flip down with the tire.

Looks like it will make the back of the rig very accessable (when can I get a spell check at CK5??? ;) ) also.

Lookin good man!!!

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks sharp, brother!!! Good job! :thumb:

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Exellent work friend! Love it! :waytogo:

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have my license plate zip-tied in the exact same spot :D Works good when going over rocks, its like a hinge :D

9. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

looks pretty sweet

10. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Looks good. Might wanna add a piece of rubber to the bottom side of the angle iron to help with the rust and vibration if any. I am doing a similar design to my front bumper out of tube. The front hoop will have some ORD bushings that allow it to swivel down with locking pins for a step to get into my engine compartment. This is an idea I have not seen yet, but probably has been done. Might get er done by Blaerfest, but we will see. Keep up the good work on your rig and remember in the end it is all about pride because you will never see the money again.

11. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

looks good that's a pretty trick setup. my only question is how long till you start hacking the fenders and put some 40'' tires on her? ;) :D that is one of the nicer looking rigs i've seen here! but if you hang around here long enough that'll change :blush: :cool1:

12. GEORGIA GABE

one day Ill put some big tires on it. right now it is my dd so 35s are about it.
    the sheetmetal looks better in the pics than it really is. the passanger side needs a new fender, both doors are pretty bad. but hey its a 4x4 right. I want to weld in an exterior cage one day.
    gabe

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

looks good. I've always liked that concept for two reasons. 1) You don't have to heft the tire up and down so high by straight deadlifting it, and 2) It makes a step ladder for getting into the back. :D