Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My speedo went whacko

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Sep 23, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Now, I know that larger tires set the Speedo off a bit.. howeverm when my truck was on the highway yesterday, my speedo went ALL the way past 85MPH [​IMG], when I was barely going 70. Now, it's never done this before. When I got off the highway, every time I'd start out from 0, the needle would wave back and forth between 0 and 25, and eventually settle down when it reached a higher speed. Today, it stopped the craziness, and is back to it's old, incorrect self. But, I was wondering if you guys would have any ideas as to what would set it off like that. I only remember the waving incident once before, when I was on the highway from muddin. But it has never went past the 85 MPH mark. Any ideas would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it needs lubrication, has the cable ever been cleaned and greased?

3. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

To my knowlage, the truck has never had the speedo cable cleaned or anything. Any idea as to where the cable located so I can take a look at it? My truck's an automatic '87.

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

your speedo cable is on the pass. side of your transfer case and should run up over it to the frame and then up and through the firewall!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

6. Heavy Chevy

Heavy Chevy Registered Member

Mid America (800) 500-1500 for corvetts has an adaptor that screws on to the speed-o-cable. Ask for a catolog it has great stuff for engines.

7. I don't know if your truck has cruise control or not,but when my truck started doing this I checked the cables they were fine.I took apart my cruise control unit under the hood and oiled it.It stoped the problem,but my cruise guite working!!LOL O well I did'nt need it anyway.But that is whats wrong with mine.My blazer is an 82,I don't know what year they changed this setup just a thought for ya.
    Hope this helps.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

My 87 is doing the same thing.

'87 Beast

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I've never had problems with this, but my understanding is that you can get can of white lithium lube in a WD-40 type spray can with the little red straw and squirt a ton of that stuff down the cable from the speedometer side (since that is the highest point). It seems like it would be best to do this while the cable is turning, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Just take the screws out of the cluster and reach up under the dash to "unclip" the speedo cable from the speedo. Then just pull the cluster out and you'll be staring at the open end of the speedo cable.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

10. If you unhook the cable from the cluster you can pull the cable out of the housing and wipe it down and run a grease stick up and down the cable.This is the best way to lubricate the cable.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!