Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My starter went out, how hard to replace?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Jan 4, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My starter just went out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So is it difficult to replace? I'm going to go get a price for one right now.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

simple to replace but you may need to shim it and that can be a PITA, so get some shims while your at the store and get the kind that come with directions....It's not too hard but it does take a little patients.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And make sure you disconnect your battery first.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's easy.
    Disconnect the negative battery cable, first.
    Disconnect the wires on the back of the starter. Make sure you remember which wire went to which terminal. I think they all have metal O's on the end of the wire so you can't put them on the wrong one, but still watch it.
    Remove the 2 bolts holding the starter to the block, making sure to support the starter with your hand so it doesn;t knock you on the head.
    Install is the reverse. The starters I've bought from autozone always comes with a shim kit that I've never bothered to use. Mine doesn't make any noise and to be honest I'm not too sure how to measure for shims anyway.
    It's not too bad.
    You might want to consider a starter heat shield from JEGS or Summit while you're at it. About $20 and they really help the hard-start-when-warmed-up syndrome.
    -- Mike

5. anatomiczero

It was cheaper than I though, $60 for an Autolite Pro-Tech with lifetime warranty. Has a new high temp solenoid so that should help with things, Unless it's just marketing BS. It also came with a shim package, hopefully I'll know what to do with these things... I'll just read the instructions 10 times.

Edit: Thanks for directions TX Mudder.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Just dont get an autozone one...they seem to last about 2 months

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I did this once when I was a teenager. I left the battery connected and had something arc. Sparks and fireworks were flying out under the car. My little bro was standing at the door clapping "Do it again Tom!!" I was ok but my battery was fried. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just dont get an autozone one...they seem to last about 2 months

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard other people say that, but I do not have that experience. I have the lifetime warranty one for somehting like $35 and it is flawless.
    I have exchanged it ONCE but not because it was faulty. I rebuild my 350 and figured that since I had the starter off, might as well get a new one.
    Again, I have had no problems with mine.
    -- Mike

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have the lifetime warranty one for somehting like $35 and it is flawless.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me too! I've had mine in for about 15mo. and its NEVER given me problems ONCE. And you can't beat a $35 lifetime warranty starter! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

SCREW YOU GUYS!!!!!!! i have a 6.2l diesel. the starters are $200 each with a 3000 mile warrenty and im on my 3rd one this year!!!!!! i just bought a 84 suburban and #3 died on the guys drive way, i had to do a starter swap in this dudes driveway in the dark /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. i was PISSED!! so the next starter i get is going to get a lifetime warenty. i dont care if its costs $400. but back to your problames, its an easy install. its REAL easy if your truck is lifted. good luck!!!!

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Autozone doesn't sell a lifetime for the 6.2L????
    -- Mike

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

im not sure. ive never gone to auto zone for a starter. NAPA is the only parts store in my little town. but im going for a drive to get a starter with a real warrenty this time. im done with cheap, non reliable starters.

13. anatomiczero

Well it was easy, until it came time to shim it. I used all the little shims but there was still a big gap, so I made my own shims by drilling bigger holes in some L brackets laying around. Then I had to shim the other side just a little. It makes a little winding noise after starting, but it's the closest it will get. If I put one more shim in it grinds. Now I need to take care of the ignition because it's a b*tch to get it to the start position.