Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my steering box is leaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jan 14, 2003.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

after I went wheeling last time i noticed a new oil spot on the ground, my power steering box is leaking from the back where the steering shaft bolts up. Is there any way that i can fix this or do i need to get a new box? If i need a new one, what years will work with my 73? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You can buy a rebuild kit,but if it was me I would just buy a brand new steering pump.

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

its not the pump thats leaking, its the actual steering gear box

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

let the thing leak til it gunks up so bad on the outside it stops leaking. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif mines been leaking for years and i just keep adding fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    ANd he's worried about a few drops...
    Well I never had a blazer with a clean steering box. As soon as you start working it it will start leaking. Mine looks pretty bad but every couple of months I check the level and it's a little low so I add some.
    When I feel that it's getting low in less than a couple of weeks then I would think of replacing it.
    Now if you don't intend to work it hard on rocks or mud and you want a clean driveway then go ahead and replace it, it's cheaper.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can replace the seal pretty easily i hear...i replaced my whole box because it was fubar'ed bad though, it also leaked all over my draglink ends and probably messed them up too

7. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Pull the steering shaft off and start it again. Check to see if it's leaking from around the input shaft or out the end of the shaft its self. If the shaft is leaking then just go get another box. If it's just the seal then you can get them cheap at a local parts store or i'll be more than happy to send you one.

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

yeah, the fluid lever gets low pretty quick. ill have to look tomorrow to see where exaclty the leak is from but I was wondering what years would have a direct swap, as far as thread sizes on the hoses are concerned?

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i just replaced the new steering pump box, and both lines./.. 60 for pump w/resivoir, 20 each for the lines...

5 for fluid...

doesnt leak a drop... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

nevermind.. i read some more...

A new gear box is 50 at the wrecking yard...

or send it to the guy that does hydropic assist steering and he can rebuild it cheaply! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

if its the seal around the input shaft its not hard to change just drill the breakaway pins in the colom then remove the boltat the base below the doughnut the hard part is getting the shaft to collapse i always use a pipewrench on the lower side then beat it back with a three pound mall once you get it off there is an outer sael and then a snap ring then an inner seal then just put it back together if the knockout pins go all the way through then you can replace then with plastic dowls