Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my steering is backwards....what happened?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok i was installing the WTO steering box today and i got the right one...2wd model for cross over and put it on just like my old one was...but i get it all bolted on and hooked up ready to rock and and had the front of the truck off the ground and gave it a turn lock to lock to make sure everything was ok...well i turn the wheel right and my wheels go left...turn the wheel left and the wheels go right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif so whats wrong...did something get put together wrong when they rebuilt the box...maybe the worm gear in backwards...its really iratating when when i think i am all done...and have go go back and do it all over again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I think someone gave you ther 4wheel drive steering box. They spin backwards from the 2wd boxes. All you have to do is swap the vertical gear, and it will fix the problem. (Its not the worm gear, its the other one. If you have to take the box off the truck to swap the gear, you are trying to swap the wrong one.)

Sparky

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

nope...the only difference between the 2 w and 4w boxes is the sector shaft...and thats because of the slpines on it...

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Do you have arm that goes on the box (for the life of me I can't think of the name right now) on the correct way? Shouldn't it point toward the front of the truck. seems to me if it pointed the wrong direction it would turn opposite. Then again I don't have cross over so I don't know /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the pitman arm...yea i thought about that....but i just transfered everything over off my other 2wd box that was on before it broke...and it is set up the exact same way...if i had it turned around to the front then it would hit the spring hanger...so my only other thought its something internal on the box /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I say drive it the way it is. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It would keep things interesting and surely be a good theft deterrent. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

how about you take the madin voyage and tell me how it is..since i dont have a licence anyway /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

That'd be weird driving like that. Might be easier to drive in reverse though

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Did you get the box off of a 2wd pickup or a 2wd car?
    The only reason it should be turning backwards is if you got it off a car. Some of their worm gears turn opposite directions from the pickups. I can fix it though.
    Call me at the shop tomorrow if you can.915-651-5010

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dont know....i had west texas offroad get it for me..so who knows /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. TheLakeRat

Oh your $hitting me?
    We'll aren't i the frigging IDIOT!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    I'll se if i have another one at the shop and get it out to you ASAP.
    By the way, I'm Mat from West Texas Offroad.

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

sweet deal...i just figure i had practice today on how to install a steering box...by next week ill be a damn neer a expert.lol.... ..no rush tho...still got 2 weeks befor i even have a chance to get my licence back...ill try to pull this box back off tommorow or wednesday and get it back on the way to ya...if not then it will be next weekend before i can even think of touching the truck...oh yea i left a message on your shop line when i was tring to figure out what was wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...Thanks alot

13. TheLakeRat

Sorry Chaz, i'm really sorry. I'll see if i can get one out to you quick.

14. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

no problem at all....[censored] happens... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif all is good