Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Steering Saga. So confused! *Update*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

*Scroll down for update*

I'm embarrassed to say, I got the new pump on and started it up last night and I have NO power steering. It is using fluid, as I disconnected the return line and cranked, and it did spit it out. I had adjusted the gear box only maybe 1/2 turn so I turned it back the other way but still, nada. I pulled the new pump back out (getting faster at that) and removed the valve body because the instructions say that if you have no/low pressure to compare valve bodies. They are identical.

Thing is, about the gear box... a little over a month ago we were goofing around and there was this hill
    [​IMG]

So after that I backed up on it. I was sitting there holding the brake and I heard kind of a thunk from the front of the truck. Nothing appeared broken so I drove home. On the way home my steering felt like it still does. Wavy?? Anyway, the steering wheel was also off like 1/3 of a turn all the sudden and the ride was very unstable. The other thing is, it started whining like a bad ps pump. Now with a new pump it still whines. And I have no power steering. We did flush the old pump about a month ago but it didn't help. Also have checked ball joints, tie rod ends and put on a new steering stabilizer. Drag link is almost new (dropped drag link).

Any thoughts? I'm taking my poor little bruised and battered hands over to Auto Zone for some Mechanix gloves right now, and then will pull the steering gear box. I have the day off thankfully, and took hubby to work so I have a car. Next door is an older (late 70's?) parts truck and they offered the gear box to me if I can remove it. When this is done, no more working on it til after Christmas. I plan to spend lots of time crocheting and sewing /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: My Steering Saga. So confused!

I'm guessing here but I would say something went south in the gearbox. I know there was somebody on this site that used to rebuild P/S boxes. So if youre lucky he'll see this post or someone that knows him will.
    Oh go to Sears for the paw covers they have them on sale 50% off right now.

Eric

3. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem awhile ago when I replaced my pump. New parts don't mean good parts. Mine was pumping fluid but with no pressure. I had to take the pump back. It could also be the box. I have had bad ones right out of the box.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

yeah, hard to tell. Somehow I think your gearbox is toast.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, I haven't the faintest idea what's wrong...just a post to say that I was referred to Lee Manufacturing to get my pump and gear rebuilt, and they do really high quality work. HarryH3 told me about them. Very nice people. Most folks mail their stuff to them for the rebuild. May save you some time and trouble to just ship it to them and get it done right. At least then you'd know it wasn't those parts if there was still a problem. Lee Manufacturing, 11661 Pendleton St
    Sun Valley, CA Phone: (818) 768-0371

Oh, and I wish they made Mechanix gloves that would fit my hands. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

another possibility is send your box over to West Texas Off Road and have them rebuilt it and prep it for ram steering. IIRC, the whole thing (rebuild and tap) is like $125 and no one has anything except great things to say about WTOR.

7. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

on the sector shaft that goes down through the gearbox there is 3 teeth that work a worm gear and sometimes the center tooth of the sector shaft will break and cause it to walk and your wheel to be off, and the PS it could be cloged valves in the steering box or some thin holding them shut or opend?

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I went and got a steering box from the junkyard yesterday. Finished the job at 1:30am. It's going to be a long day, that is for sure! Neeeeed sleeeeep. Anyway it still whines. It must not be the ps pump. I wonder what else whines like a gear drive??? Maybe the gear drive fairy was here.

It does seem to handle better than it did, however I need to drive it more to determine. It didn't have power steering at first but I was ticked and took it out in the backyard, threatening to push it into the river. Actually I was just turning around and around. After a few minutes I felt something give and the power steering returned. Then there was a very different whining/growling sound. I filled the fluid and it was bubbly. Then I flushed it a little, topped it off, and went for a drive a couple of miles up the road. Seems ok. My steering wheel is upside-down but that is probably a drag link issue yet. I am sending the truck away for a few days, to go deer hunting with my hubby. I don't even want to look at it!

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Mine whines sometimes, but it's the pulley slipping on the PS pump shaft when the things get tough. Maybe that's what's happening, so you get reduced pressure, since the pump is not turning as fast as it should.

Just throwing in my 0.02.