Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My stepside 4x4 build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suntadz, Mar 11, 2007.

1. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

:D I got a few questions towards the end of the thread!!!:confused:

....also changed title not to make me look like a addict or something....

Well i just started my lift this weekend and it went a bit slower than expected. Just got the front. Took me all of sat and sun morning but happy with the results. The rear looks like more of the same unforseen problems I ran into with the front. I know my hitch and exhasu might be in the way of the shackle flip. I started with the front Tuff Country H.D. 4" lift, ORD H.D. shackles and greasable bushings, raised steering arm, ORD FUSH kit, S.S. brake lines, and Tuff Country dual shocks and steering stabilizer. That was all I could do so ill start the rear on monday after work. This was some of my problems:
    1) The steering arm took alot more banging than expected
    2) Enlarging the hole in the frame for the FUSH kit was a PITA without a die grinder. Alot of hard filing. I tried a hole saw but abandoned that idea. My grinder also got a short during this and made me have to take it apart to fix the cord.
    3) The shock config with the auxillary took a bit of thinking. But instead i threw them on with out the steel sleeves then removed em then threw them on in the wrong order then removed em then got it right.
    4) The steering stab bolt to the tie rod was stripped and couldnt get the nut of without a little sawzall action. then the tapered bolt was frozen too.

Now the front is complete and about to start the rear. Then I can get my 35's. Yippy:laugh:

The begining.jpg

new spring.JPG

new front.JPG

start rear.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. wildmandave

wildmandave 1/2 ton status

nice looking truck. what year is it?

3. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

87 v10 stepside
    yea it was alot better looking b4 i started wheeling in. kinda sad but alot of fun:D

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Looks good. It is amazing what those new springs will do up front. Are you going to drop the front sway bar?

5. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

No ill leave the sway on for now. I got the disconnects if i really needed it but Ill see what it can do with it on. My next dilema was to beef up the 10 bolt for the 35's or just switch axles in the rear. Anyone know if i spent money on a locker for the rear if I switch to a 14 bolt l8r can I use the same locker up front? Too many choices. thanks for looking

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

find a set of cheap 3/4 ton axles.]

For gods sake, loose the sway bar! when you lift the truck the arc of the sway bar is differant of that of the spring and will bind (doesnt happen with the dissconnects though)

But still you have a light truck and 4" hd springs wont sway bad, i wouldnt run one...

7. TexasBlazerBoy

I just finished my lift and got my 35's

The first time out I busted the cv joint the one next to the tcase on the front drive shaft.:doah:

Now I have to get it fixed

8. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

Ok i got ther rear done today. Looks good. Im about 3/4 higher in there rear so I think ill leave it for now. Now off to get exhaust mods and tires done. then I have to figure to regear my 10 bolts or axle swap. I leaning towards the 10 bolts cause ill never go bigger then 35's and all the extra hassle for me isnt worth it I think. My wife will kill me anyway if i spend another weekend on it:D . have a good one.

Complete.JPG

DSC03426.JPG

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want that sucker to ride a bit better, I'd suggest moving the rear hanger forwards an inch or two... Your rear shackle angle should be more like 45 degrees towards the back instead of straight up and down :)

Other than that, looks awesome! Definitely tempting me to do the 4x4 swap on my stepside...

10. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

well i just got tires and a exhaust system put on. just thought id give ya some pics. had one proble that when i cut off the old exhasut it was still pointed towards my rear shacke. when i got to the exhasut shop it had melted and caught on fire the poly bushings on that side. what a idiot. live and learn i guess. I was able to replace the bushings at there shop. everything looks fine now but hope no damage was done. the lower shackle bushing melted completely away to whre it was the metal sleeve and bolt only. the worst part is it fried my ord sticker on the back of the shackle.:D

DSC03436.JPG

DSC03433.JPG

DSC03434.JPG

11. TexasBlazerBoy

Looks good.:D

Live and learn:doah:

12. TexasBlazerBoy

Would a longer shackle achieve the same objective.:confused:

13. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nice looking truck

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

nope, a longer spring would achieve this, but a longer shackle would make it slightly worse. The angle would be pointed slightly moreso towards the front, instead of moving it 45 degrees to the rear.

Remington

15. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the comments. Yea a liitle more rear for the shackle would be better but thats what I came up with and it seems to ride fine. Alot better than before with the stock setup though I did have 2 blown shocks and a real saggy spring. Ive been debating on the gears now for the last few days and came to a desicion today. I bought a 14 FF with 4.56 and a detroit for the rear. I was going to regear the 10 but couldnt justify the money so for a couple bucks more than rebuilding the 10 with lockers I got this 14 now:D . But still leads to more time working on the truck and need it done before I run out of patience. Im getting old and tired :p: . I guess ill have to convert the front to 8 lug and still regear it. I would like to put a trutrac in it but not sure I can right now so I might leave it open. Then to connect the 14 ill have to get a drive shaft made to match u-joints so I dont have to run a bastard one. Also firgure out the brake line. I think the 14 has 1/4 and my stock 10 has 3/16 brake lines. Do I just get adapters or a new rear S.S.flex line with tee for a 1 ton?:confused: . Hope I get done soon. Couple weeks it will all be good.

16. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

ok just got the 14ff bolted up now i have to reconnect everything. Too bad the driveline shop isnt open til monday to press in my new conversion ujoint. Still have to replumb the brake lines too. I got a kit but it was for a 3/4 ton 14ff and i have a 1 ton so they dont seem to fit right for some reason. I guess im going down to the store to just get bulk pipe and bend my own. Im thinking now of getting a HAD slip yoke drive shaft with the 1410 yoke so I can match my rear to the driveshaft without the bastard ujoint. But that will be later. I got to get this road worthy again and take it down to the rear end shop and get my front regeared. I got yukon gears and bearing kit along with there chromoly axles and a trutrac for the front. Got new hubs and rotors with backing plates to do a 8 lug conversion to match the rear. The eaton rims sure look alot better than the stock ones. they really pumped out my tires on the 10" rim.

DSC03459.JPG

DSC03460.JPG

17. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

Im doing the same thing with my step side. except ez rides and 39.5's :D

18. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Dang, that is a nice rig. It makes me miss my '87 Stepside

[​IMG] :( :( :(

Why'd I have to sell it? :doah: Subscribing. Maybe I can live vicariously, thanks.

19. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Sharp truck. Every time I see one like that on here, it makes me want to get mine cleaned up and into shape.

20. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

fitted my ruffstuff cover on to try and get the brake lines done. Wow.... I suck at this. Got frustrated and just started bending it with a spring bender by hand. Looks like dog crap but ohwell. have to do for now. Ill try again l8r. Also took some pics when it was open. Gears got some surface rust on it but should wear off soon enough. Its been sitting for along time. anyone know if there is a break in peiod for new gears? gonna adjust the Ebrake and bleed the new ones and fill with oil.

DSC03463.JPG

DSC03466.JPG

DSC03465.JPG