Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my stereo has problems

Discussion in 'Audio' started by balazerjake86, Oct 30, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

i was trying to install my cd player in my 86 4x4 when i could not find the memory wire. i have a wire harness i got from auto zone and all of the factory plugs(3) fit right in but i have a male plug with two wires and i cannot find anywhere to plug this in any one had this trouble or do i need to just connect it to the fuse box. thanks all

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sure it's the correct harnes ??? That's suck to fry the headunit. Yes you can run the memory wire to fuce box. Make sure it's a non switchable sorce. If cig lighter works with vichile off, that would be a good place to tap into.

3. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

yes i am 100 percent sure i bought the right one it said it on the back of the box. i have hooked them up before with the memory wire ran to the fuse box i was just wondering if any one else has had this problem. maybe the one i got was so genric that it didn't have the right wiresbecause the problem i had was that the harness it self did not have a memory wire my cd player(pioneer) did but i still had a piece left over, my mustang had two clips but not one female and one male like i got. thanks all for your help sorry bout the long post. =jake

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Stock they did not come with a constant hot wire. Most people just run it into the cig lighter wire.

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

what happend is GM doesnt like to change anything. the old 3 plastic piece setup what they had for a long long time with the shaft style stereos. there was no memory wire because there was no memory in the radios...fast foward to the future. late eights to earlie nights ( and maybe beyond???) they stated putting in digital tuner radios in the need the memory. so instead of redesiging the whole harness the just added another 2 wire pig tail for the constant hot and I think the other wire is a grond but not total sure. basicly in your case run ur mem wire off the cigerette lighter wire ( thats what I did )

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Now you got me thinking. That extra wire in the plug with the constant wire is not a ground, but I can't remember exactly what it is. I need to go to my garage and check now.
    You talk about GM not wanting to change everything. So true. Do you realize that the extra plug you mentioned is also the same plug they used on a bunch of their speakers? When the bay I worked at would run out of the speaker harness adapters, and we didn't want to chop any factory wires, we could rob the old GM radio harnesses(Metra 70-1677-1) for a couple and use them just the same.

7. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah know I think I remember. I think that other wire is for the dimmmer function. kinda forgot has been a while since I played with that harness. and now that you mention it I do think I remeber that old harnesses on the original 4x10s in the rear were the same lol. gotta love GM