Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My strange noise was the flexplate - but who knew it was so bad!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 14, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So I finally pulled the tranny back on Sunday and pulled the flexplate off. The center of the flexplate fell out in a nice crank shaped pattern. If it hadn't been for the odd shape of the break I would have never made it the extra 100 miles I've been having to drive it with that odd noise it was making, it woulod have spun in place and standed me. I'll have pics of the breakage for others reference. New SFI thick flexplate installed now.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow! I guess I am suprised it didn't chew itself to pieces! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You would think it would be more difficult to push a heavy K5 than deform the steel.

At least it was nothing major and it is fixed now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm rather suprised it didn't shift 1/4" in either direction and let the flywheel go... then it would have chewed it up good - good thing I had the Ultra Bell scatter sheild on there just in case it did! I think the tollerences are so close with the ultra bell the the TCI low stall that there really wasn't any room for it to shift. It was making noise like rocks in a hubcap by the time I pulled it apart!

Also dropped my hookers and dual 3 chamber flowmasters while I was at it - sounds like a real truck now!

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so is the tranny square?
    guess when the case breaks under the new tough flex plate you will know
    *edit*maybe not with the ultra bell

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah its square - I think all this happened when my th-350 bell shattered, before the Ultra Bell. I am a little worried about having to ditch the brace bar from the t-case to the bell since my exhaust goes through there now. I'll have to make a new one to go around the exhaust.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

just squish the exuahst square /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thats kinda what i did .

7. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me this year while plowing. I kept hearing a noise for like two hours went home and figured that i just cracked it in one place, moved the trans back and the flex plate came right off leaving all the bolts in the tork converter with a good amount of the plate.

8. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

thats what mine did. i had a bad vibe for about
    a week when i would drive it. i looked at everything
    possible to find the vibe and had no luck. i even pulled
    the inspection cover for the torque convertor and didnt see anything. so i figured i would drive it till it breaks. well
    it did break 100 miles from home /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . and it broke perfectly around the crank.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am a little worried about having to ditch the brace bar from the t-case to the bell since my exhaust goes through there now. I'll have to make a new one to go around the exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just use the "old style" t-case brace that goes to the frame.