Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My sub has a tapping in the topend of a rebilt 350.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Feb 13, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

It is a 91 with 200 miles on a rebuilt 350, but there is a tapping in the top end. My bud and i replaced a bad lifter. Still there thow. I was going to drain the oil and put in marval. I was told if it is sticky that would get it lose. anyone else ever do this?? Anyother ideas?? Thanks guys

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I had a 76 nova that had a ticking lifter... I ended up having to replace the rocker arm, push rod and lifter... after that... no ticky

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The arm and push rod where in good shape. waht else could it be? Mike

4. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Adjust the rocker arms by the book. You do have a book, right? If it has a stock cam, use the factory specs. If it has an aftermarket cam, use the cam manufacturer's specs. Is the tick only on one lifter? Can you make the tick go away by finger pressure on the pushrod end of the rocker arm? How much oil pressure do you have at idle? Is the tick there at higher engine speeds?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a distributor that knocks. Thought it was lifter or rod till I took my mechanics stethescope and strated to try to find it. I hear it at the fuel pump and I really hear it at the distributor housing. Not hearing it hardly at all at the valve covers.
    I pulled outthe distributor and started cheking shaft play and bingo! I can make a noise that sounds exactly like what I am hearing with it running.
    It's loud enough that with the hood up and truck idleing I can hear it from about 40 ft.