Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My t-case it too hard to shift why???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 15, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Everytime I want to shift into 4WD my shifter is too hard why would that be, when I put it in 2hi, and back to 4hi sometimes it works good and is pretty smooth, but sometimes when I'm trying to go from 4hi to 4low that sucker is really hard, sometimes I feel like getting a sledge hammer and pounding it until if shifts, but like I said sometimes I can shift as easy as 123 why would the t-case be doing this, and how do I fix the problem I hope it's fixable.

ps, my case is a 203 with a th350 tranny.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem until I had the shift linkage adjusted. Also, the shop told me that the 203 was supposed to be shifted with the tranny in neutral.
    Hope this helps.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

From high and high lock and from low to low lock you should be able to be moving. However, the faster you're going, the harder it can be. Are you stopped when shifting??
    Is your shift linkage loose, bent or binding? Check for all plus cleanliness. How is your t-case fluid? Full and clean? How many miles on unit? Maybe time for overhaul??

There is a somewhat complicated procedure for adjusting your linkage. If you need it I could post it later if you don't have access to a manual.

Good luck with 'er

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, and Goose if you have the procedure handy and you could post it up I sure can use it, cause I need to adjust it that thing is driving me crazy, thanks.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Oops I forgot, when I shift I'm always stopped and in neutral as far as the oil I think I need to replace it, and I really dont know how many miles the t-case has.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Here goes on adjustment of NP203 linkage. I don't have a scanner so this will be lengthy.............

On the outboard side of the shifter assembly body almost to the bottom there will be a hole. There will be two levers coming out of the bottom of the shifter assembly, these also have a hole in them. When the shifter is in neutral, the three holes should line up and a gage pin should be inserted to hold levers in place.
    On the transfer case there are two shift arms that point down and are connected to the shifter arms with two rods.
    To adjust, use the pin to hold the shifter mechanism in line and make sure the two transfer case arms are pointing straight down(neutral). Then make the adjustments on the connecting rods so that everything is tight and straight. The transfer case will be in nuetral and you can also adjust your boot cover to show nuetral if it's off. Hopefully that is understandable.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Goose has it right, when I get home I'll post a drawing that helped me out a lot. This job seems very intimidating as first glance but once you realize what's involved it becomes very easy.
    I had the same problem you're having-hard to shift, after I adjusted my linkage as long as I am in park or neutral it shifts great. just remember to shut your ignition switch off when you're done. I drained my battery overnight [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Oh boy it is kind of intimidating, you dont have to jack anything up do you? if you guys had a drawing that might be a little easier if not I'll just try to do it thanks guys.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hay the post on the adjusting was good. Going to print that one and keep in in my manual!
    Both my 203's were hard to shift and liked poping out of Low Lock when under heavy pressure. Both of mine were cured by diassembling the shifter and cleaning it. The dirt had everything binding and just plain being a pain. There are 2 different style shifters, one is bolt together and the other is pop rivited together. Mine were the bolt style in both the 75 and 79. I think the west coast got the rivit style (Waxer has done this style so find him for tips on it). There are many parts in the housing and several thrust washers. THEY MUST STAY IN ORDER!!!!! lay the thing out on a bench and open it up and work you way through each part making sure to stack it in the way it came out. Some good old bearing grease is a fine lubricant for it. Make sure the spring loaded pin in the bottom of the lever is working smooth.
    Now somtime even with this cleaned I have had a little fight between modes. I have found that it is best to stop on a slight grade put the tranny in N and if the case doesn't want to shift to let the vehicle roll a little to release any drive line bind. When going back to high for the street pull it all the way back to lock then bump it back into full time (or 2 high if converted). For some reason both my cases dont like going from low anthing too high normal without going all the way into lock. They will pop right back into N when you put the tranny in gear.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I am sorry I didn't get the drawing posted sooner, last night I couldn't get into the sight and today My computer wouldn't recognise the hard drives [​IMG]
    here is that drawing that I promised, this with the diredtions posted will make simple work of your job.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

11. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey mudfanatic thanks alot for the picture that cleared things up, I'll try to do it this weekend any problems I guess you'll be hearing from me thaks again.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!