Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my Tahoe got stolen!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Oct 6, 2003.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Man this sucks, first about 3 years ago my 87 K5 gets stolen from my college campus--TWICE in 3 months, now my dailer driver tahoe gets jacked from my gym. I know k5's are rather easy to steal but i figured my 95 tahoe would be more diffucult. How do you think they got it started? Can they break the column like on the k5's? I am pissed. Both my 87 K5 and my tahoe were set up just how I wanted and then they get stolen. I cant win to loose! This sucks. Any comments or suggestions?

2. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

I know it! My Tahoe was broken into twice in 9 months. The second time they frigged up the steering column trying to get it started. Either they gave up or got spooked by a passerby.

Wish I could have caught them doing it...mine and yours. I have a special tool for situations like that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope the insurance co. doesn't jack you around.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that fawking sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i hope you get it back in one piece
    do you have any security features on it like alarm gas shut off battery shut off or any thing?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, u must live in a high crime area. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i think for your next rig (or when u get this one back) you need to install every anti-theft device you can find. All kinds of kill switches, brake pedal lock, steering column collar, removable tcase handle, a good alarm, a low-jack decal for the window etc etc etc.

j

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    damn, u must live in a high crime area. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

other than buckhead, just about all of atlanta is a high crime area!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. atlantak-5er

It was stolen in Buckhead, @ peachtree and Piedmont!

As for anti theft devices, I had a column collar/lock, alarm, and kill switch on my 87 K5 the second time it was stolen. The parking deck video showed the cock suckers putting it on their flatbed tow truck and hauling it off! I guess if they want it they will get it.

I bet mine is sitting at some wrecker yard somewhere stripped down, waiting for the lousy cops to finally figure it out. It took them over an hour and a half to get there when I called it in! They really could care less and it shows around here. I cant wait to get the fcuk out of the city!

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dood that sucks...why is it that it seems like it takes a bit longer for cops to show up after something gets stolen than it does for one to show up if they're called because you're speeding and the other cop wants backup? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. atlantak-5er

Power trip! They cant fcuk w/ you and show you how BA they are when you are the victim so they dont want to answer the call.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I feel your pain. I had much the same thing happen. It wasn't a 4by but my little hotrod. They had to have used a tow truck as it didn't even have a driveline in it. Never heard hide nor hair about it. Good luck to ya gettin your truck back!!

Allan

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Power trip! They cant fcuk w/ you and show you how BA they are when you are the victim so they dont want to answer the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hay your truck being stolen is much more important then the armed robberies, Auto accidents shutting down I75 with people with life threatening injuries having to be air lifted out, Drive by's, pedestrians hit by cars, domestic abuse calls. You need to call up the mayor and complain about the understaffed police force and get somebody fired over this. You call about something they can't do much more then write a report and keep an eye out for it was the most important one out there after all. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. jekbrown

doh! pretty tough to stop when the bad guys bring a tow truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif them big flatbed ones have beefy winches in em... even if your brakes were locked it could pretty easily drag it up and into the bed. Only useful protection I can think of against that type of theivery is Onstar or Lowjack.

j

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ive never heard of a car being stolen on a flat bed, that must take some serious balls...or lack there of...

13. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    doh! pretty tough to stop when the bad guys bring a tow truck. them big flatbed ones have beefy winches in em... even if your brakes were locked it could pretty easily drag it up and into the bed

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can aways pull in then lock your steering wheel in full turn, kind of hard to pull something up a ramp that just wants take out what ever is parked next to it.

14. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I have heard of it lots, think about it have you ever really noticed a car or truck being towed away or on the back of a flat deck and thought twice about it?
    People will just walk on by and not even think about it.

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    You can aways pull in then lock your steering wheel in full turn, kind of hard to pull something up a ramp that just wants take out what ever is parked next to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a bad idea, especially if you make the rig super hard for a theif to start.

j

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I am so glad I live in a smaller town. I drive my Blazer to school sometimes and I always leave it unlocked. I leave it unlocked all the time. I don't even think the locks work? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif lol

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you think they got it started?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long screwdriver underneath the door latch housing on the outside of the door, unlatch the lock, their in. Don't quite remember, but I think it's stick the screwdriver in the key lock ignition, yank down steering column and hit the wires. Time elapsed: If they are good and I'm sure they were, 30 seconds or less......... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I worked an attempted stolen P/U one time, fawkers saw me before I saw them and they hit the afterburners on foot and I couldn't pursue (company bullcrap policy). I couldn't find the point of entry, so the cop showed me. I had to look up close at the latch housing to see the slight bend in the sheet metal.

The early 90's model Chevy P/U's are almost top of the list in this area in stolen vehicles, along with the Honda Accords. The Accords are as easy to steal, unfortunately no one has stolen mine yet. I guess it's because it's not some POS riceburner with the fart can and 5 million stickers..............

18. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If they want it bad enough they will get it.I watched a show one time and they took this car and had the best anti theft devices installed,they had an ex con that was a pro and they timed him, less than a minute he had all the stuff by passed and had the car started..................

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    i used to do that all the time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Ive been in small towns almost all my life and the majority of the time the keys are in the ignition of my daily driver everywhere. My wheeling rig ALWAYS has keys in it and doors unlocked. I couldnt stand to live in a big city. Dont know how you guys do it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif