Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my tailgate adventures

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Aug 19, 2000.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I still don't have a rear window crank, but my window rollers have been sitting on a shelf for almost 5 months now so I opened up the K5 for the first time since June 17th and tore into the tailgate. I need a whole new gate, mine is a rustbucket held together by some paint, I didn't realize that it was that bad. I gutted it anyway and I am going to to pick up some POR15 this weekend and paint all of the pieces that I pulled out.
    I am wondering, does anybody know if there is such a thing made as self adhesive felt? and would it work in the window runners? what cheap things have you done to your window runners to keep the window from rattling and to keep it rolling up and down smoothly?
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You mean their supposed to run smoothly? [​IMG] My tailgate has no rust but I've been into it at least 6 times in the last 2 years and it currently does not work again! However mine is power which just means they took a crappy design and made it more complicated. Have you priced out new felt from GM or others?
    I'm going to gut mine for good when I get my soft top.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey rusty, it may be a better idea to swap to a pick-up tailgate. They are smaller, lighter, and readily available. Get all the pu hardware and it's a bolt on deal.

Mud, I don't know of any self-adhesive felt, but you can stick the stuff down with some good 3M trim adhesive. I would think some "good" new felts would be much easier. You might be one the lookout for some inferior repop parts these days....seems like everyone is making repop parts for these trucks and some of the stuff is crummy at best. If you were lucky like me, you couldn't hear the tailgate rattle because of all the wind noise from missing weatherstripping!! [​IMG]

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Mud-
    I dont know about stick on felt, but I know there is imitation rawhide stuff that is nicer than felt that is sticky backed. We use it on our bows to keep the arrow from making noise. You can find it in the archery department of any super store or at a sporting goods store. Hope you find some - its real good stuff.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com