Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tailgate sucks!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bondo, May 29, 2000.

1. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I thought my tailgate was in pretty good shape until I opened it up and found that the support for the window regulator is completely rusted away at the top.... and now it's starting to rust through on the top of the gate. Where's the best place to get a brand new gate? Don't want to mess around with a used one that might rust through in a year or two. Thanks guys.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can't think of it right now but I think it's parts . com but the is a guy in everett Wa.that will sell new Chev blazer gates for 263.00 thats were I got mine his name is Vince at everett Chevrolet( if its not parts . com let me know and I'll find out later chevyfumes

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

$263! in that case get the fiberglass one. I think it was about $300, but I'm not sure. Make a search on "tub" and "fiberglass" Someone posted the address for the guys that sell everything fiberglass.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

these guys sell fiberglass tailgates (everything they have is fiberglass)
    http://www.usbodysource.com/

[​IMG]<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys. You got me thinkin' on the fiberglass idea. Never have to worry about the gate rusting again. I could go with a fiberglass body as well......

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If you do a fiberglass tailgate, you're gonna need to brace the body up. The tailgate helps hold it semi-square. The body on these things really gets tweaked when you are moving it around. Fabtech recommends large amounts of bracing when removing the tailgate from ANYTHING. Wouldn't take long, just some steel welded at an angle from the bedsides to the floor.

The fiberglass sounds like a good idea, but to keep the body from flexing around and cracking the new tailgate, I'd try and beef up the bed some.

Kyle
    89K5