Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my theory/shackle flip q's(please read)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i'm swapping in 3/4t. gear in an '80 cevy lwb.the rear springs are toast.i think the PO installed to long rear springs.they were riding on top of the rear spring hanger.i unbolted and dropped the axel and the springs fell to peices.so now i need new springs which is delaying the project til i decide what to do.flipping the shackle gives 4"(right?)w/stock springs.6"w/2"springs,etc.is there any way to get 6" w/ the stock springs?i was thinking that i could drop the front and rear hangers 2" ea. and, along w/ the 4" from the shackle flip,obtain the 6" to match the front.i'm trying to do things as inexpensive as possible but i don't want it half-assed.i can get stock springs and the front rear hangers from the bone yard for $50.to me, it sounds good in theory.what do you think?

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

get a pair of stock springs, might as well go with 56"ers, add a drop shackle and a 1" zero rate. You can put the shackle on teh 2" drop hole and then move the shackle flip hanger some. This set up, if done properly, should net you 6", a good ride, and good flex.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ive got a shackle flip with summit 2" lowering shackles

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Since you have to get new springs anyway, just get 6" lift springs. It'll be cheaper and you can still swap over to 56" springs by moving the rear hangers.

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

cheaper?compared to...?i'm married w/ 6 kids who eat more than what my 3/4t. truck weighs in a day.i'm all for lift springs but the budget wont allow right now.and what to 56" springs come on?thanks for the replies.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well if your trying to keep it cheap.... I dont know how much shackle flip kits cost.... but you can goto the junkyard and get a set of spring hangers of the rear axle... front of leaf..... confusing I know :haha:
    then mount them on your truck on the back of the leaf... what you end up with is on your back axle... the front of the leafs... you end up with those hangers front and back.... and you net a good amount of lift and cheap too.... whatever you can convince the junkyard to sell them to you for.... :bow:

some day that is what im going to do... :wink1:

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I went through this exact same dilemma on my Blazer. Made a spreadsheet and everything.

Honest shackle flip kit: $160 minimum plus paint/powdercoat
    New stock springs: minimum $200 plus shipping and new bushings ($40 more for 56" springs)
    Plus you'll still need 2" blocks and new u-bolts to get 6". Figure another $50

Pro Comp 6" lift springs from 4WP: $260 plus shipping includes new bushings. That's for 52". 56" may be a little more.

Pretty sure 56" springs came on the 1-ton pickups but it doesn't much matter. Any place you call for spring prices should have them listed by length.

You can do a "ghetto flip" by installing a 2WD rear spring forward mount in place of your factory rear mount. That will get you either 4", 6" or 8" of lift. Depends on who you ask. That's definitely the cheapest route but not necessarily the best. Unless you already have the forward mounts, you'll still have to buy those plus the new stock springs and new bushings. That will just about take you right up to the price of the lift springs.

Your call.

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

56s came on 1tons and some 3/4ton subs I think.

The reason most go with a shackle flip is to keep from running blocks and its somewhat better flex. You can make your own shackle flip or buy one.

Here is a picture of my rig with homemade flip, 64" rears (88'&up stock rears), 2" lowering shackles and 42s. I've got around 5" to 5.5" with this. Just add a zero rate and you've got your 6"s. I'm running 6" front lifts for now but going with the 56"s up front soon. Also my flip doesn't extend down like ORDs or Skys so you may be good without the zero rate.
    [​IMG]

9. RootBreaker

you say homemade flip.. is this the one I was talking about?
    if so... what parts did you use?
    any other pics?
    Thanks
    Jeff

10. RootBreaker

ghetto flip can be done cheap.. why do you need new leafs?
    if the 2wd spring hanger works for 4-8" lift.. then you put it on and see what you got... while you get them hangers from the donor truck at the yard you also get the leafs.. I cant see paying more than $75-$100 max for that stuff.....
    then new bushings.....
    and viola

but guess me being a redneck I dont mind the Ghetto Fab of the Ghetto Flip

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No I used some 1/4" plate to the frame, 2 1/2" square tubing to extend it the length and then some more 1/4" to make the shackle holder. All was scrap I had lying around. Prob some more pics in my gallery and SE forum.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Because he said his current springs are shot and I would never trust a junkyard spring. :dunno:

13. RootBreaker

gotcha...

im a redneck so even junkyard leafs are gold to me!!!!! :haha:

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Whatever works for ya!!

15. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

whats so ghetto about using a front spring hanger in the rear?

thats what ive got on my truck with a 2 inch lowering shackle, been running it for about 2 years now

i dont see how that would be ghetto or not the best way to go

16. RootBreaker

got pics???

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Mainly because the stamped steel parts aren't as strong as the fabricated flip kits.

To each his own, though. Whatever pops your shorts! :D

18. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

redneck?ghetto-fab?:D i'm with ya there,bro!the yard wants $50 for "whatever"i need.he said to torch the hangers or the bolts.$50 either way.the best part is the axel is already gone and the springs are just hangin' there.so tell me this.is there a difference between the 2wd and 4wd front rear hangers?then i could just lower everything 2" to get my 6".i have done my homework and the other options are out(lift springs,ord flip'new stockers,etc.)bone yard leafs are good enough for me.i'm planning to dis-assemble them and install teflon inserts after taking the grinder/flap disc to them for rust scale removal.basically rebuild them.i think i made my decision.thanks all for the input.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Lowering the hangers isn't really an option because you still have to pick up the inside bracket to run the bolt through. Otherwise the hanger will eventually bend away from the frame.