Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tie rod ends might as well be welded on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5blazerus, May 7, 2003.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Try using the bottle jack under the tie rod bolt and hit the side of the knuckle a few times BF HAMMER

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I've had luck with hittting the outside of the knuckle with a hammer. OR go rent a pitman arm puller from Autozone or buy one for $20. You can use this to all of the drag/tie/pitmans on our trucks.
    Blake

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I already tried that once. Had most of the weight on the jack, hit everything with a little hammer, then a big hammer. Nothing happened. I've been trying to get this tie rod off forever.

Last summer I made my first attempt. I even took the nuts off completely and took it up backroads driving around over all kinds of bumps. It never did come loose. Put it back together, and I've hardly driven it since. I tried a month ago, but no change. Still stuck on there.

But I'm afraid to drive the thing... and I'm supposed to tow my trailer 85 miles with it on Friday.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

They wont come off. It's a tie rod on a Dana 60 front on my '81 Crew Cab. The ends are worn horribly, but I can't get the ends off to replace it.

I've tried spraying them with WD 40 and other stuff, tried a pickle fork, used many hammers, and even a bottle jack that lifted the front tire off the ground but still didnt push the tie rod end out of the hole in the knuckle.

Is buying a special puller the only way?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Try a little heat. then hit the side of the knuckle with a hammer.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Soak liberally with PB Blaster. Rust is getting the better of you right now. Heat will definitely help. Heat the knuckle up and try again with a pickle fork.

Otherwise the jack method while hitting the knuckle right where the rod end goes through should be the best option.

Persistence will pay off on this. Once you do get it off, then clean out all the rust.