Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Tim McGraw concert review... Short and to the point :D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Since it's my birthday tomorrow (well, today now), my boss gave me a ticket to see Tim McGraw at Frontier Days... She didn't want to go and couldn't find anyone to buy the ticket, so happy birthday, Carl... about 10 rows back, center stage... behind standing room of course, so about 30 yards from the stage...

The first band was frickin awesome... Plus while they were playing a fight broke out, and this guy made the mistake of trying to start something with security, who just called the cops over... Then the cops politely proceeded to pull the guy forcefully over the 3 1/2 foot high fence, where he got a faceful of cement... Much to the delight of the thousand or so people and the entertainer on stage :haha: :haha: :haha:

Then Tim McGraw came on............ Sure, this was only my 4th concert in my life....... But it's also the first one I got up and walked out of 20 minutes in... I like Tim and all, and I've met his super hot daughters who are my age :rolleyes:, but holy crap what a bad show he puts on... I didn't think anyone could top Staind when it comes to lame performances... I could put in a CD and be more entertained than sitting in that concert... So I thought to myself, "I'm blowing off my friends for THIS crap? The ticket was free, if I didn't come, no one would be sitting here anyway... I'm outtie..."

That's all I have to say about that... If you can get a free/cheap ticket, go, but don't pay the $45 my ticket was worth :doah:

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Daughters your age? According to his personal page his kids are 8 and under.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinkin'.

WARNING: Keep your young daughters away from Chapman!!!!!

I saw him in concert a few years ago. Great singer, but not much of a performer. Same goes for Alan Jackson.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

maybe he ment for his tast :eek1:

j/k :haha:

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Shoot, now I"m a pedophile... :crazy:

I know I've met one of those country singer's daughters and they were rather attractive......... So far I've said Tim McGraw... I've said Chris Ledoux... I should just stop telling the story, lol :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Tim McGraw = Barry Manilow in a cowboy hat.

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

geez i guess u all dont know what a county concert is all about

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If a GOOD concert is what you want to see...

I'm country music's biggest fan!--but I would not take a ticket to a Tim Mcgraw concert even as a gift!..nothing personal against Tim,but I have heard enough of him,Toby Keith,Rascall Flatts,Kenny Chesney,Keith Urban,and all the other acts "country" radio shoves down my throat ad nauseum all day to EVER want to see them live!--plus,like you said,it seems the "fans" of theese artists came from the rock and roll concerts--there is almost always a fight,most are drunk and unruly,wont STFU and let anyone enjoy the show,etc...it would be a total waste of time,money and gas for me to go to any of those shows..Kenny,Gretchen Wilson,Keith Urban,and a few others all played at Foxboro Staduim saturday--but I had NO desire to go where 50,000 people were supposed to be!..dont care for any of them,except maybe Gretchen--she's a country girl!.. :D

I saw Kathy Mattea in concert last friday night!--my sister suprised me with front row center seats!!--I sat 8 ft from the stage,and it was THE best concert of hers I've attended yet,and I've been to at least 30 of them in the past 15 years--and never have I left dissapointed,and I was able to meet her after the shows since I belong to her fan club(but the past few years she meets ANYONE who wants to and signs autographs,etc.. :laugh:

I've gotten to know her quite well--you wont find a nicer person than Kathy!--she and many other artists I have gotten to know have been very nice to me,sending me condolance cards when a fan who was a good friend of mine died,and I've gotten more than a few hugs of encouragement from Kathy,Suzy Bogguss,and Rhonda Vincent when they heard my dad passed on,and heard of my may other setbacks....and you guys already know Rhonda GAVE me a car!!.
    (going to see her again aug.4th in CT--unless she's still sick--she collapsed at Denver airport last week,had to be hospitalized for exhaustion and dehydration--she's back on the road,but still isn't feeling 100%--she plays over 300 concerts a year!--hows THAT for dedication??--yet the poor woman cant get a song played on country radio --and she's WAY more talented than the ones they will play--its a sin..)..

I could list a lot more performers who are WORTH going to see,and whose concerts are not a screaming mass of drunken idiots who'll spill beer or throw up on you--I like the older country music from the 90's back to the 50's.which has all been "banned" from airplay in my area with the exception of 4 hours on sunday mornings..

I DO like many of the newer female acts,like Martina Mcbride,Sara Evans,Chely Wright,Pam Tillis,and others,but for the most part I feel country music they play now is an insult to the genre--and Tim is leading the pack with lame songs,and singing with rapper "Nelly" --Kenny Chesney is more pop than country now--even "traditionalists" like George Straight and Alan Jackson have sold out some,doing remakes of Hank Williams "Hey Good Looking" and the song "Five O'Clock Somewhere" with Jimmy Buffet!--what happenned to "Murder on Music Row"??..

Acts like "Big And Rich" and "Cowboy Troy" are a farce--they claim they are "bringing more "fans" to country music".. :rolleyes: --yeah--"fans" that act like jerks at concerts--and they make fun of country music more than sing it..but they are the ones getting all the airplay...most folks never heard of the female artists I like,because radio refuses to play their songs--just because they have no "major record label" or millions in payola to dish out to the stations.. :mad:

.Country radio is biased,age discriminitory,and for the most part a pre-determined playlist that NO amount of requests ever change..I dont know how they get away with it!..If any of you want some names of artists who sing live as good or better than they sound on cd's,just ask..I'd be glad to list them for you!.. :crazy:

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thank you! I think Tim McGraw and his lovely wife typify everything wrong with country music today. Country isn't country anymore, it's pop in boots...

The last concert I went to was Merle Haggard back in Feb of this year, and that was a great show. No stage antics, no smashing guitars, no fires or pyrotechnics, just good ol' country music. The best part was my 9 yr old son asked me to take him to see the Hag.

The days of country music being sung by people who lived it are pretty much over now. I doubt there will ever be anybody to equal George Jones, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash...

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Amen. I've been a country fan since I was a kid, and I always hated when country radio swung from traditional to pop.. kenny rogers was the tim mcgraw of the early 80's, IMHO. yuck.

best country shows I saw were hank jr at the starlake outdoor ampitheatre in PA, and patty loveless for 5 bucks at the uniontown pa county fair back in 1991. never got to see david allan coe yet, but I'd like to before he dies.

Always liked kathy mattea too. very authentic. same with dolly parton, when she sings gospel. patty's my favorite though, she just brings it..

I remember when faith hill came out, with the janis song piece of my heart... she said the first time she heard it was when her record company played it for her. in the early 90's.. never heard it up till then.. wtf? must not have had a radio around.. ever..

Shania twain needs to just wear miniskirts and not sing. every song she does now sounds like it was written for def leppard.

I like gretchen wilson.. of the new crop, she sounds the most real. I don't like martina mcbride.. great voice, weak ass songs, just like whitney houston... overwrought, vanilla ballads filled with platitudes, euphemisms, and stupid generalities.

Outlaw country needs to make a comeback. We need more songs about beer and less about overcoming the obstacles of life..and enough with everyone trying to sound like jimmy buffet.. or the eagles... they were not country. tiki bars aint hillbilly. we need more "desperados waitin' on a train" and less of anything by john michael montgomery. less pretty boys and more bikers with guitars.

I blame garth brooks... I really do. his first two albums were traditional sounding , but then he had to go all billy joel on us.. the bastard. he started it.

Tom

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Chris LeDoux's grand daughters are probably around your age, and probably still in your neck of the woods too.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and a marketing genius. without Garth Brooks and the doors that he opened, the "country music" that you're after would be absolutely dead. he opened the ears of millions of listeners with his apparently "Billy Joel" style, and turned them on to traditional country released on his first two albums.

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I love this site!

14. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

"It is better to not say something and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

j/k!

Happy Birthday! :D

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If you like garth , that's cool.. and yeah, he's a marketing guy, the fake accent proved that...but real country wouldn't have died.. randy travis and george strait were stil making records then, and alan jackson was just hitting the scene.. never mind all of the old timers still out.

He had some good songs, but I'd hardly call him the savior.. he just made country safe for the yuppie crowd.

Tom

16. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I think the country music that we're after is dead anyway. Unfortunately it seems part of the natural evolution of music though. I'm sure Lefty Frizzell, Faron Young, Porter Wagner, etc... all felt a little left out when the outlaws came in.

When I was a teenager, there was pop music. That seems to have disappeared and rooted itself into what is now called country. To say these pop artists have saved country I think is incorrect. They have changed it. Traditional sounding artists won't get air time or big record deals anymore because the industry is afraid it won't sell. So we are left with manufactured music that is cranked out instead of the more traditional country that brought emotions out.

What modern song makes you feel like Hank Jr's Country Boy Can Survive? When that song comes on, every window in my truck is open and the knob is cranked... Or any Tammy Wynette or George Jones song that is just a hair away from bringing a tear to your eye...

They just don't make music like that anymore.

Scott

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I saw Tim McGraw and Faith Hill at Madison Square Garden in NYC a couple years ago. We stayed for the show, but I thought it was pretty lame. I forget who opened for them, but my wife liked them and she woke me up when they were done.

I'm a big Waylon fan, I love outlaw country. But my list goes up through George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith, Clint Black, etc. Tim McGraw, obviously going after a more rock crowd now (for some reason I can't picture "Indian Outlaw" with the same ear crunching bass as "Where the Green Grass Grows").
    I like a lot of Garth's music. I wouldn't call him the scourge of country, but yeah, he definately leads a drive toward pop. The Billy Joel comment ispretty close (I *HATE* Billy Joel's music, btw, the only elevator music composer who convinced anyone there was some form of rock in his crappy tunage).
    I still hear more Keith Urban on Lite radio than I do Garth Brooks, though... Keith Urban's great, btw, but I can't figure out what the frig kinda music it is... Like wierd rockabilly...

I used to work on air in Country radio. The music is all determined by research. If the market wanted Outlaw country, we'd play it. We did throw in an occasional thing or two from older more traditional country because we knew people did like it despite the research, but for the most part, research and music testing showed people were more into the poppy disposable music most artists crank out today. I was often the one guilty of "accidentally" playing the Waylon track off a CD that I was supposed to play the Martina track from...:D

What's that guys name that's trying to pull the Jimmy Buffet routine? His new current song is about a keg in his closet or something? I can't stand that crap. Guys like him totally patronize country to get their career going, and then morph into this multi-audience thing or whatever his genre is now... Some people it works (Shania/Garth/Faith), some people it doesn't. My old country PD used to say screw you to artists that tried that and then tried to come back to country. He refused to play their records...

At the Faith Hill/Tim McGraw show in the city, we went back stage and I said one of the funniest things I've ever said to a celebrity..."Hey, remember me?" I'd met her a couple times before (when she wasn't the mega pop/revlon hit), and stupidly thought she would remember one couple out of the thousands she's met in those years...

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm tired of the same old guy
    With the same old song
    About the same old love
    It goes on and on and on
    Same old guitar
    And the same old strum
    I may be country but I'm not dumb

- Blake Shelton -

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was country when country wasn't cool!

I never beleived Faith Hill when she said she never heard Janis Joplin sing "Peice of my Heart" either...you'd have to live in a cave to have not heard that song during the 70's!...I liked Faith's early stuff,but once she was labelled a "diva" on VH1,I lost interest--she sings more like Celine Dion than a country girl--but her new song "Mississippi Girl" is telling us she's still a "good ol' girl" and has not "gone hollywood"... :surepal: --if she hasn't,then why is she singing a song that says she isn't?? :confused:

There are lots of deserving artists that sound like the "old stuff",but radio wont play them here--no Americana,no Bluegrass,and only a select few artists get any radio airplay anymore..our Boston station does have a "Sunday Morning Country Oldies" show from 8 am til 12 noon,but the rest of the week you wont hear 1 song older than 1985 or so..its the #1 show on that station too!--but they refuse to add any older artists songs the rest of the week..Any newer acts like Daryll Worley,Billy Joe Shaver,Josh Turner,and many others who still sound country and have a "twang" in their voice are completely ignored..They insist everyone hates the "old country",and have all but buried the older artists..

I love Hank Jr's "Country Boy Can Survive",Family Tradition", and many of his other tunes--his "America,The way I See It" tape has some good political veiws on it..like "I Got Rights",and "The American Way"..but you'll never hear them on the radio!..I think its a sin what they have done to "country" music in the past 5 years or so...when TNN went off the air,it took a lot of artists careers with it!...there isn't any REAL video channels that play the artists "missing" from country radio....

I was approached by a guy at a Suzy Bogguss concert many years ago in Albany NY--he said he worked for WGNA,and he was looking for someone to be a DJ for the station..I lived 200 miles away,so I told him no thanks!....I often wondered if I'd have been happy spinning all the "POP" country acts while my favorites were "banned"...guess I'll never know--one thing for sure--I'd go NUTS listening to the same 20-40 songs they play nowadays..Travis Tritt said it best--"Country Aint Country No More"... :(

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

quiet yankee. :rolleyes: