Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Tire Carrier for my Truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Apr 18, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I've got an 80 K10 and I carry a fullsize spare. I use my truck to haul stuff on a regular basis and I was getting tired of wrestling the spare around in the bed every time I went to Lowe's for a sheet of plywood or whatever. So I built this tire carrier to get the tire off the bedfloor and keep it secure. It also gives me more places to tiedown small stuff and coolers. Thought I'd let others check it out.

Here it is on the floor ready for welding. Its made out of 3/16"x3" angle iron. I got the metal free from work. It was in the scrap dumpster. Its definitely not as cool as DOM tubing or the like but the price was right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

This is the center section that the wheel/tire sit on. Its an 8 lug D44 hub that I got from a friend. He mangled it with a torch /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif trying to remove it when he couldn't get the locking hub out, so it was pretty much useless. It's welded to a piece of 2" IDx 3/16" square tubing. I ground the corners on 1 end of the tubing so it would fit inside the hub.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of it all mocked up when I ran out of wire. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    [​IMG]

Finished pic from above
    [​IMG]

Finished pic from the side. The tire/wheel sits higher than the bedsides but when I look out the rearview mirror it doesn't affect my view at all.
    [​IMG]

Finished pic from the rear. The carrier sits betwen the fenderwells and the tire sits acouple inches higher than the top of the fenderwells. The carrier is bolted to the wells with 2 3/8" bolts per side with a plate on the inside of the wells sandwiching the sheetmetal. I'll see what happens and decide if I need to spread the load out more on the sheetmetal to prvent it from tearing through. As the pic shows, I can stand 2x6s (probably even 2x8s but I didn't have any of those around)on edge and slide em under the carrier and the toolbox without a problem and a 4x8 sheet of plywood is no longer an issue. No more wrestling with the 38 and leaping off the top rope to get it to submit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

I also built this fancy tool for my bench grinder. Its made from a pice of 2x4 nailed(and glued) to a piece of 2x6. Now I can securely mount my grinder in secs. and put it on the shelf out of the way when its not needed. I was gonna build it out of steel but it hardly seemed worth the effort. I was gonna post this tool in the COG in the fabricated shop tools post but apparently the original post is too old so I couldn't find it.
    [​IMG]

So what do you think? The total cost to me was $8-9 for the wire, got all the steel from work and the hub was donated. So is it ghetto fab? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif Anybody got any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

looks good for almost free /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Cool idea...I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Could have given the tire that pimp pre-runner angle. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

There is a fine line between really good redneck engineering -- making what you got work, aka "run what you brung" -- and bootyfab, like that giant pickup on Ebay with the 30" frame lift /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

However, I believe yours lands squarely in the "you did it right" category. Reinforcing under the wheel wells with the sandwich plate is particularly a good idea for a big tire.

Makes me wish I had a pickup to do that to, and I'm a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif man through and through.

-- A

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Looks like it will work. The olny suggestion I would make is to lower the tire down to rest on the angle. I had mine mounted simular and after a few years of the tire bouncing around, it broke. Just an idea to think about.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

right on!!! you know my motto as long as it's safe, whatever works. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

8. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

You could also put it on the back side of the wheel well for more of a prerunner look and have the tire resting on the floor of the bed to take some of the stress off of that sheet metal. It may also give you more options for attaching a Hi-Lift jack or other recovery tools to the frame of it.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That would defeat his purposes though since he wants to haul stuff without taking the tire out...

10. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Get a trailer!