Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my tires spoon, is this good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 3, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This probably isn't the most exiting post ever, but I just wanted to show every body what I got for 7 bucks today. Thats what they cost and Northern Tool. Does this look like it will work good to mount my tires? its 30" long and has a curved "spoon" on the end of it. Any more tips or articles are certainly welcome, cause I think I'll try to mount them tomrrow or the next day.
    thanks,
    James :bow: :bow:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

All I can say is, ow, my back. I had a couple of nasty tires laying around on rims I wanted to keep ... and, ow, my back.

The tires are now off the rims, so that the tires can be filed appropriately and the rims kept, but ow, my back.

Use LOTS of soapy water or WD40 or whatever -- and I mean LOTS -- and ow, my back. :D

-- A

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your tires spoon? Odd...guess mine have never cuddled before.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, where do you think ATV tires come from? Two big tires make out, then they cuddle ... and then a little while later, little tires! :haha:

-- A

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Man it sucks getting old, atleast thats what my grandma tells me all the time. :D

They should work fine. I have done a few sets of 33x12.5x15 a few times and it wasnt horrible. But I will tell you I used alot of dish soap and a lot of cussing through the first few tires, but it gets easier. I also used a crow bar and for seating the bead a strap going around the tire and a blast of air. I dont think I would want to attemp a bais ply or larger tire.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That should give you plenty of leverage. Just use a lot of lube. I mounted my 37 MTRs on 15X8s with the little factory lug wrench as my tire spoon. I seated the bead with nothing more than my little red air compressor that you hook to the battery:D . Took me 2 hours including air up time on all 5.

Ira

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think he's doing 16.5" tires, they almost fall on the wheel with out even touching them... sorta the same way they fall off the wheel...

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ya no kidding, my dad has a super dookey and one of his front tires magically popped the bead while he was driving home one night. Tires were inflated correctly, and luckily he was on the street and not the freeway. I hate those 16.5 without some sort of beadlock.