Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my tools are HEAVY

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

so i got to paking all my tools in my new box geting ready for BB. i packed lightly, as this is the box that rides in my truck and i keep the big tools at camp. i have the bare essentials and the damn box weighs an easy 400lbs. and thats without my socket set, hi-lift, and shovle. wow, i need to get some aluminium tools or somthing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I hear ya I went to the salvage yard yesterday with my wrenches, 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets in standard and metric, and a couple screwdrivers and the damn box prolly weights 50 pounds. Carrying that through the yard was a lesson in pain and I still needed a tool I didn't have as for some reason the truck I was dissecting used torx screws to hold in the lenses /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The local pick-n-pull has wheelbarrows for you to haul your tools and parts around the yard in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Makes it WAY easier than lugging everything around. I've also used a 2-wheel dolly to haul my tools and stuff around in a yard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I did free lance auto repair this summer, and I had all my tools in two boxes (one box for all sockets and drives, one for screwdrivers, pliers, hammer etc.). They must weigh atleast 35 lbs each. I hurt my back lifting them into my trunk, I was down for a week /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I also off road a 'glass dune buggy. You don't carry anything more than absolutely necessary in one of them. What I did was start with an empty tool box. Then I worked on it at home out of that box only. Everytime I needed a tool not in the carry box I got it and put it in the carry box. That way I wasn't guessing as to exactly what I would need or not need.

One of my former employers had some tools out of the box that a 20's era Indy car riding mechanic had on the racecar. Each wrench had been carefully hand ground to reduce as much weight as possible.

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

When I started whelin I used to cary around all my tools and it took tons of space and weght. I have since brought down to just stuff <font color="red"> I </font> really need. I keep my sockets, some pry bars, and big wrenches for the bigger bolts. A small grinder, a small strong impact and other misc stuff. My big Tap/die set. A misc box with misc bolts nuts. A misc box with electrical stuff.
    CRAP!!! I have lots of stuff!!!!! [​IMG]
    I do not have it all on one box so it isn't CRAZY hevay!!
    I also found over the years there was lots of stuff I never touched so it stays back. LAST!!
    I never wheel alone and my crew and I always work out who has what. We teamcary. The last trip I carried all the spare parts and hardly any tools. Phil had tools, doug recovery. That sort of thing.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Dude, don't talk to me about weight. I use my toolbox in the back of my truggy to counter ballance the *engine*. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh, and I love your jpg generator in your sig. Pretty cool trick...

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Get creative with it.

For "in-the-truck-tool-kit", it doesn't have to be top of the line, built to last type of tools. It just has to get the job done, once.

Make your own specialty sockets out of pipe or tubeing. Weighs much less than the store bought socket - and works well enough to do the job - in the field.
    In my lil' part of the world, I regularly work on "odd-balls" (I.E. - something other than G.M.) and have, over the years, collected quite a number of home-made tools and sockets. Built multiple sockets out of various sizes of exhaust pipe tubeing. Most of them are double-sided (two sockets in one) and weight no-more than a 6" piece of tubeing.

Other sockets/ratchets:
    Ditch the over-lapping sockets. A complete set of 3/8ths sockets, and whatever you know you might need that isn't covered in the 3/8s set. Two addapters (3/8ths to 1/2 and 3/8ths to 1/4). Three lengths of 3/8s extensions. A good, long handled, swivel head 3/8ths ratchet. A short handled 3/8ths "nut-runner". A 1/2 breaker-bar.
    That should cover just about 90% of anything you will need "in-the field" - as far a sockets/ratchets go.

Some other ideas:
    Double sided open-end wrenches, insted of a complete set of box-end wrenches.
    Modify the high-lift jack handle to axcept a 1/2 socket.
    Stander-ize your truck before hand. Convert, as much as is resonable, to standered sizes.
    Forget about being comfortable, focus on getting the job done.

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i do have a full set of combo wrenches, that might be over kill. everything else is stuff i NEED.

straps &amp; shakles
    jumper cables
    extra fluids-oil,tranny,t-case.
    come-a-long
    u-joint press
    breaker bar
    tourque wrench, this i could leave at camp i guess
    hand tools-vise grips, channle locks, 3 screw drivers, socket set, etc.

thats pretty much it. i cant even belive how fast it adds up